* Make footnote/endnote number not superscript?
@ 2022-03-20 20:10 Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context
From: Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context @ 2022-03-20 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm editing a book that will be printed, however the authors have included URLs which will no doubt suffer from "bit rot" in no time at all. I think it will make the main text cleaner if I use endnotes rather than include the URL in-line in the text or as a (distracting) footnote. So when the author writes "See my video at <long Youtube URL>" I will print "See my video at link 1". At the back of the book, in an appendix somewhere, I then use \placenotes to display a table of the actual URLs for any readers that want to type them in.

I want the "link 1" bit to be normal text rather than superscript so it's more visible. Using the \setupnote[textstyle=...] command I can change the style of the number but not the superscript placing.

Is there a way to remove the superscript placing, please?

Alternative solutions welcome: the URLs printed in the book will be mirrored on a web page associated with the book for as long as possible so that content that vanishes over time can be replaced with Internet Archive links as they are discovered. However the order of the book isn't finalised yet so I'd like the numbering to be sequential regardless of whether I move a chapter around later on. This is partly the reason for using \endnote because I can use a reference elsewhere in the text if necessary.

Thanks in advance.
—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

* Re: Make footnote/endnote number not superscript?
@ 2022-03-20 20:52 ` jbf via ntg-context
From: jbf via ntg-context @ 2022-03-20 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bruce, I suppose one way to achieve your aim, if there is no easy way to
prevent superscript, would be to put your reference in parentheses: (See
my video at link 1), followed by the normal superscript number for
footnote anchors. You can still go with the endnotes.

The other thing, and I know this because I am often having to deal with
long URLs, is to remember to use \hyphenatedurl{}, and you can determine
separately where the breaks occur if the default is not to your liking.

I know it is not quite what you were looking for, but it would be a
simple solution and not to distracting.

Julian

@ 2022-03-20 21:07 ` Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context
From: Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context @ 2022-03-20 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Wolfgang Schuster

Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context schrieb am 20.03.2022 um 21:10:
> I'm editing a book that will be printed, however the authors have included URLs which will no doubt suffer from "bit rot" in no time at all. I think it will make the main text cleaner if I use endnotes rather than include the URL in-line in the text or as a (distracting) footnote. So when the author writes "See my video at <long Youtube URL>" I will print "See my video at link 1". At the back of the book, in an appendix somewhere, I then use \placenotes to display a table of the actual URLs for any readers that want to type them in.
>
> I want the "link 1" bit to be normal text rather than superscript so it's more visible. Using the \setupnote[textstyle=...] command I can change the style of the number but not the superscript placing.
>
> Is there a way to remove the superscript placing, please?

\starttext

First\footnote{Footnote one}

\setupnote[footnote][textcommand=]

First\footnote{Footnote two}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

* Re: Make footnote/endnote number not superscript?
@ 2022-03-20 21:18   ` Rik Kabel via ntg-context
From: Rik Kabel via ntg-context @ 2022-03-20 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Rik Kabel

On 2022-03-20 17:07, Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context wrote:
> Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context schrieb am 20.03.2022 um 21:10:
>> I'm editing a book that will be printed, however the authors have
>> included URLs which will no doubt suffer from "bit rot" in no time at
>> all. I think it will make the main text cleaner if I use endnotes
>> rather than include the URL in-line in the text or as a (distracting)
>> footnote. So when the author writes "See my video at <long Youtube
>> URL>" I will print "See my video at link 1". At the back of the book,
>> in an appendix somewhere, I then use \placenotes to display a table
>> of the actual URLs for any readers that want to type them in.
>>
>> I want the "link 1" bit to be normal text rather than superscript so
>> it's more visible. Using the \setupnote[textstyle=...] command I can
>> change the style of the number but not the superscript placing.
>>
>> Is there a way to remove the superscript placing, please?
>
> \starttext
>
> First\footnote{Footnote one}
>
> \setupnote[footnote][textcommand=]
>
> First\footnote{Footnote two}
>
> \stoptext
>
> Wolfgang

You might want to define a separate set of notes, for example,
linknotes, defined as Wolfgang suggests, so

    \setupnote[linknote][textcommand=]

so that they are a separate sequence. These would be used exclusively
for the url links you describe and regular footnotes would continue to
be superscript (or however else you choose to treat them). You can
define multiple streams of footnotes and endnotes.

--
Rik

* Re: Make footnote/endnote number not superscript?
@ 2022-03-21 18:25     ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2022-03-21 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rik Kabel via ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 3/20/22 22:18, Rik Kabel via ntg-context wrote:
> On 2022-03-20 17:07, Wolfgang Schuster via ntg-context wrote:
>> [...]
>> \setupnote[footnote][textcommand=]
>> [...]
> You might want to define a separate set of notes, for example,
> linknotes, defined as Wolfgang suggests, so
> [...]
> You can define multiple streams of footnotes and endnotes.
Hi Bruce,

following the conversation, this might be a sample of what I think you
intend to achieve:

  \definenote[linknote]
  \setupnote[linknote]
      [textcommand={\ }, textstyle=, location=text]
  \setupnotation[linknote]
      [alternative=serried, numberstyle={\switchtobodyfont[12pt]},
       style={\switchtobodyfont[12pt]}, numbercommand=]
  \starttext

  \dorecurse{25}
  {First\footnote{Footnote one}.
   See my video at link\linknote{yewtu.be/my-great-video.}. }

  \title{Links}
  \placenotes[linknote]

  \stoptext

I hope it may help,

Pablo

* Re: Make footnote/endnote number not superscript?
@ 2022-03-21 23:20       ` Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context
From: Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context @ 2022-03-21 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)