* page setup
@ 2003-12-15 13:45 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2003-12-15 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to typeset 2 A5 pages onto 1 A4 page in landscape format,
side by side. Thus typesetting the pages two at a time on one piece of
paper, in their natural order, seeing them as a spread.
Something like
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x                    x                   x
x         1         x         2        x   going on for 3, 4, etc.
x                    x                   x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I do not seem to get that job done. The context code I tried:
\setuppapersize[A5][A4,landscape]
\setuplayout[location=doublesided,marking=on,grid=yes,header=0mm,margin=
12mm]
\setuppagenumbering[location=footer,location=margin,alternative=doublesi
ded]
\setuparranging[2*1] % or [doublesided] or [mirrored]

The \setuparranging (in the above variations) sends TeX into an
infinite loop.
Of course [2*2] will not work, it gives booklets of 4 pages instead of
2.
Maybe it can be done without the \setuparranging, but I could not find
out how.

The context version I use is: ConTeXt  ver: 2003.12.12  fmt: 2003.12.13
  int: english  mes: english

I would appreciate some help very much.

Hans van der Meer

* Re: page setup
@ 2003-12-15 14:47 ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2003-12-15 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans van der Meer <hansm@science.uva.nl> writes:

> I am trying to typeset 2 A5 pages onto 1 A4 page in landscape format,

Try this:
\setuppapersize[A5][A4,landscape]
\setuparranging[2SIDE]
\starttext
\showframe
\dorecurse{7}{\input tufte \par}
\stoptext
\endinput

Patrick
--
mon trainsistor j'adore

* Re: page setup
@ 2004-01-06 22:20   ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-01-06 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I still wonder why there is an empty page... This is slightly annoying.

> Try this:
> \setuppapersize[A5][A4,landscape]
> \setuparranging[2SIDE]
> \starttext
> \showframe
> \dorecurse{7}{\input tufte \par}
> \stoptext
> \endinput

Patrick
--
Es wird kein Wunder geschehen

* Re: page setup
@ 2004-01-06 23:13     ` Steve Peter
From: Steve Peter @ 2004-01-06 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, Jan 6, 2004, at 17:20 America/New_York, Patrick Gundlach
wrote:

> I still wonder why there is an empty page... This is slightly annoying.
>
>> \setuppapersize[A5][A4,landscape]
>> \setuparranging[2SIDE]

With [2SIDE], I don't get an empty page. I do get an extra page with a
0 down at the lower left corner. And this is annoying.

With [2UP], page one starts on the recto, leaving a blank verso, which
is what I would expect.

Steve

* Re: page setup
@ 2004-01-12  9:27       ` Patrick Gundlach
From: Patrick Gundlach @ 2004-01-12  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

>> I still wonder why there is an empty page... This is slightly annoying.
>>
>>> \setuppapersize[A5][A4,landscape]
>>> \setuparranging[2SIDE]
>
> With [2SIDE], I don't get an empty page. I do get an extra page with a
> 0 down at the lower left corner. And this is annoying.

That is true! I haven't seen the 0 in the corner. Where does it come
from? This looks like a bug to me....

Patrick
--
Es wird kein Wunder geschehen

* Re: Re: page setup
@ 2004-02-01  5:13       ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2004-02-01  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >> \setuppapersize[A5][A4,landscape]
> >> \setuparranging[2SIDE]
>
> With [2SIDE], I don't get an empty page. I do get an extra page with a
> 0 down at the lower left corner. And this is annoying.

Yes, I have the same observation. The "0" in left bottom corner of
additional (and unwanted) sheet.

Perhaps it is corrected in the new beta (my ConTeXt is a half year old), but
a) I am travelling foreign country with limited time and Internet access,
b) I am using rather complex macro for traveller electronic journal and
switching to new beta means complex testing if everything will work OK.

Please, can anybody with new ConTeXt check, how many pages are produced by
next code? And if the table of contents is present?

Thanks
Vit Zyka

(Hint: I got 3 pages (not expected 2) without table of content. Table of
content is relaxed by using command \setuparranging.)

Code:
---
\setuppapersize[A5,landscape][A4]
\setuparranging[2TOPSIDE]

\starttext
  Content: \placecontent
  \switchtobodyfont[20pt]
  \dorecurse{3}{\section{Section \recurselevel}Page \recurselevel\page}
\stoptext
---

* Re: Re: page setup
@ 2004-02-02 12:33         ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2004-02-02 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Vit

When using arranging one needs either to use the option --arranging
together with texexec and therefore no \setuparranging in the file or
put \setuparranging in the file and run it first with the
\setuparranging command commented. This will result in a jobname.tuo
file, which is used in a further run with the \setuparranging line
uncommented. - With this method the problem is, that when running the
file through texexec with the \setuparranging command uncommented for
all runs you end up with an inappropriate jobname.tuo file. That is the
reason why you do not get the table of contents.

When compiling your sample code with first the commented \setuparranging
command and a final run with this line uncommented I get here:

2 sheets, first page with table of contents, the sections one and three,
then follows a whole empty page (A4) with the mentioned 0 (zero)at the
bottom left, the last page contains the the section two.

See also attachment.

Kind regards Willi

Vit Zyka wrote:

>>With [2SIDE], I don't get an empty page. I do get an extra page with a
>>0 down at the lower left corner. And this is annoying.
>

> Yes, I have the same observation. The "0" in left bottom corner of
> additional (and unwanted) sheet.
>
> Perhaps it is corrected in the new beta (my ConTeXt is a half year old), but
> a) I am travelling foreign country with limited time and Internet access,
> b) I am using rather complex macro for traveller electronic journal and
> switching to new beta means complex testing if everything will work OK.
>
> Please, can anybody with new ConTeXt check, how many pages are produced by
> next code? And if the table of contents is present?
>
> Thanks
> Vit Zyka
>
> (Hint: I got 3 pages (not expected 2) without table of content. Table of
> content is relaxed by using command \setuparranging.)
>
> Code:
> ---
> \setuppapersize[A5,landscape][A4]
> \setuparranging[2TOPSIDE]
>
> \starttext
>   Content: \placecontent
>   \switchtobodyfont[20pt]
>   \dorecurse{3}{\section{Section \recurselevel}Page \recurselevel\page}
> \stoptext
> ---

[-- Attachment #2: VitZyka.pdf --]

* Re: Re: page setup
@ 2004-02-03 21:38           ` Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2004-02-03 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Willi (and others),

thanx for detailed explanation and testing. Procesing the minimal example by
suggested way I received an improvement: I can see the contents. But stil
there is en error with number of pages. It means, that new ConTeXt has an
improvement in this direction.

This solution would be enough for me since I have written macro that add
empty pages the total number be mod 4=0 when the problem of empty sheet does
not occure.
But unfortunately, Win Acrobat Reader 6, 5.1 and  5.0 CE says about my
complex document:

  There was an error procesing page. There was a problem reading the
document (14).

if I run texexec ONLY ONCE after the change. After two passing the Reader
does not complain.

So I will have to try a new version...

* Re: page setup
@ 2004-03-22 10:25 Vit Zyka
From: Vit Zyka @ 2004-03-22 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo Hans,

sorry for bringing back two old topics, but they are still unanswered:

1) Willy Egger firstly pointed on empty page with zero on the bottom-left
coner of an additional sheet using arranging command. I have tested with
pretty new context (ConTeXt   ver: 2004.3.16) and this behevior still
survived. Run the next test file and see page 2:
%--------------
\setuppapersize[A5,landscape][A4]
\setuparranging[2TOPSIDE]

\starttext
  \switchtobodyfont[20pt]
  \dorecurse{2}{Page \recurselevel\page}
\stoptext
%----------------

2) It is possible to sort in reverse order? It means the result of next test
file was: C B A.
% -----
\definesorting[address][addressbook]
\setupsorting[address][criterium=all]