* [NTG-context] ConTeXt support for Nova text editor (MacOS)
@ 2023-11-11 17:39 Paul Mazaitis
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Paul Mazaitis @ 2023-11-11 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ConTeXt users

Hello, list!

I'm working on a ConTeXt language extension for the Nova editor by Panic software (https://nova.app/).

The extension is here:

	https://github.com/pmazaitis/nova-context/releases/tag/0.6.0

...currently in beta, but fairly functional.

This version of the extension supports:

* Syntax Highlighting
* Folding for (most) environments
* Navigating by Symbols (headings: chapter, section, etc.)
* Spell-checking of body text and section titles
* Managing builds with Nova's tasks system

(As an aside, this extension uses an updated version of the ConTeXt tree-sitter parser [https://github.com/pmazaitis/tree-sitter-context] that can now recognize (most) environments and use them to parse out the document hierarchy.)

Limitations at the moment: not all environments are supported (only those with \start and \stop commands right now), and the extension only supports English.

Happy for any bug reports, etc.,

	-Paul

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: ConTeXt support for Nova text editor (MacOS)
@ 2023-11-11 18:06 ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2023-11-11 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 11.11.23 um 18:39 schrieb Paul Mazaitis:

> Hello, list!
>
> I'm working on a ConTeXt language extension for the Nova editor by Panic software (https://nova.app/).
>
> The extension is here:
>
> 	https://github.com/pmazaitis/nova-context/releases/tag/0.6.0
>
> ...currently in beta, but fairly functional.
>
> This version of the extension supports:
>
> * Syntax Highlighting
> * Folding for (most) environments
> * Navigating by Symbols (headings: chapter, section, etc.)
> * Spell-checking of body text and section titles
> * Managing builds with Nova's tasks system
>
> (As an aside, this extension uses an updated version of the ConTeXt tree-sitter parser [https://github.com/pmazaitis/tree-sitter-context] that can now recognize (most) environments and use them to parse out the document hierarchy.)
>
> Limitations at the moment: not all environments are supported (only those with \start and \stop commands right now), and the extension only supports English.
>
> Happy for any bug reports, etc.,
>
> 	-Paul

Thank you – would you mind to add it to
https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Text_Editors please?

Hraban

@ 2023-11-11 19:52 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2023-11-11 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 11 Nov 2023, Paul Mazaitis wrote:

I don't use MacOS, but ...

> (As an aside, this extension uses an updated version of the ConTeXt tree-sitter parser [https://github.com/pmazaitis/tree-sitter-context] that can now recognize (most) environments and use them to parse out the document hierarchy.)

Last time I checked tree-sitter on neovim, there were no good tree-sitters for context. I'd be interested in testing this out.

Does the parser detect nested metapost and luatex environments?

Aditya

@ 2023-11-11 22:43   ` Paul Mazaitis
From: Paul Mazaitis @ 2023-11-11 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 Nov 2023, at 14:52, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> Last time I checked tree-sitter on neovim, there were no good tree-sitters for context. I'd be interested in testing this out.

Happy to have feedback!

> Does the parser detect nested metapost and luatex environments?

The parser recognizes chunks of metapost and latex code and marks them in the syntax tree, but does nothing else: I figured the best approach here was to let applications call out to various tree-sitter parsers as needed.

I don't know of a tree-sitter parser for either metapost or latex. The next one I am going to try to build a parser for is metapost (following the reference material in the back of the manual) but I haven't sat down to that task yet.

(Plus, that one's going to need a _lot_ of testing by people other than I; I only use metapost for very simple things, and my understanding is surface level at best.)

@ 2023-11-12 11:06     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2023-11-12 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/11/2023 11:43 PM, Paul Mazaitis wrote:
> On 11 Nov 2023, at 14:52, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>
>> Last time I checked tree-sitter on neovim, there were no good tree-sitters for context. I'd be interested in testing this out.
>
> Happy to have feedback!
>
>> Does the parser detect nested metapost and luatex environments?
>
> The parser recognizes chunks of metapost and latex code and marks them in the syntax tree, but does nothing else: I figured the best approach here was to let applications call out to various tree-sitter parsers as needed.
>
> I don't know of a tree-sitter parser for either metapost or latex. The next one I am going to try to build a parser for is metapost (following the reference material in the back of the manual) but I haven't sat down to that task yet.
>
> (Plus, that one's going to need a _lot_ of testing by people other than I; I only use metapost for very simple things, and my understanding is surface level at best.)
i don't know what a tree sitter is (probably a bird) but wasn't vim
using lua ... if so, context ships with parsers for whatever it needs
that one can look at

also, when context gets updated there are also updated lua files in:

context\data\scite\context\lexers\data\*

that can be used for highlighting categories of commands, enviromnents etc

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2023-11-16 18:02 ` Alexandre Christe
From: Alexandre Christe @ 2023-11-16 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Paul,

Actually in the assets on Github it’s indicating a Typst extensions, not a ConTeXt one...

BR.

A. Christe

@ 2023-12-09  2:13   ` Paul Mazaitis
From: Paul Mazaitis @ 2023-12-09  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 Nov 2023, at 13:02, Alexandre Christe wrote:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Actually in the assets on Github it’s indicating a Typst extensions, not a ConTeXt one...

Oof, my apologies; the release binary on GitHub has been fixed!

> BR.

	-Paul
	-Off to be mortified, now...