* Fwd: Lucida-1.901 (2023-01-21) available
@ 2023-01-23  8:39 Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2023-01-23  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

https://tug.org/pipermail/lucida/2023-January/000921.html

A new version (1.901) of the Lucida OpenType fonts from TUG is
available.  As with previous updates, there's no additional charge if
you've already purchased licenses; you can use the same download
information sent to you at the time of purchase to get the new fonts.
(If you've lost the download info, you can email us at
lucida-admin at tug.org.)

I will append the changes for this release. The same information is also
online at https://tug.org/store/lucida/NEWS.txt.

To summarize, the most significant changes have been to the math fonts,
especially the regular-weight LucidaBrightMathOT. Many of these changes
were discussed in greater detail in the recent article about Lucida math
by Hans Hagen and Mikael Sundqvist:
   https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb43-3/tb135hagen-lucida.pdf

The four Lucida Sans fonts and the three specialized fonts (Blackletter,
Calligraphy, Handwriting) are not changed at all from the last release
(not even version numbers or dates). All other fonts were changed.

On behalf of TUG, I thank Hans, Mikael, and Michael Sharpe, who among
them did essentially all of the technical font editing for this
release. And we must thank Chuck Bigelow and Kris Holmes (they approved
this release, as always), without whom nothing could be done.

Bug reports and character/feature requests are welcome (email to this
list is best), though, as usual, we cannot promise any particular
timeline for the next release.

Happy typesetting,
Karl [Berry]

* Re: Lucida-1.901 (2023-01-21) available
@ 2023-01-24 10:40 ` Otared Kavian via ntg-context
From: Otared Kavian via ntg-context @ 2023-01-24 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Hraban for the information and the link to the article by Hans and Mikael about the math fonts in Lucida.

I very much appreciated that article: one sees how the handling of almost impercebtile details in ConTeXt make us to adhere to and love LuaMetaTeX… So a great thank you to Hans and Mikael for all this work!

Regarding the details of vertical alignment in math, I wonder whether the column « : » in front of the equal sign « = », in the combination « := » (used to define for instance a new variable) should be alos centered around the math axis, as explained in the article. For instance in the following example

\setupbodyfont[lucidaot,12pt]
\starttext
\startformula
f(x) := -(u|x) := - \langle u, x \rangle
\stopformula
\stopformula
\startformula
f : A \longrightarrow B
\stopformula
\stoptext

it seems to me that the lower dot (or square…) in the semicolumn of the first formula (in front of the equal sign) is lower than in the second formula.

Best regards: Otared

> On 23 Jan 2023, at 09:39, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> https://tug.org/pipermail/lucida/2023-January/000921.html
>
> A new version (1.901) of the Lucida OpenType fonts from TUG is
> available.  As with previous updates, there's no additional charge if
> you've already purchased licenses; you can use the same download
> information sent to you at the time of purchase to get the new fonts.
> (If you've lost the download info, you can email us at
> lucida-admin at tug.org.)
>
> I will append the changes for this release. The same information is also
> online at https://tug.org/store/lucida/NEWS.txt.
>
> To summarize, the most significant changes have been to the math fonts,
> especially the regular-weight LucidaBrightMathOT. Many of these changes
> were discussed in greater detail in the recent article about Lucida math
> by Hans Hagen and Mikael Sundqvist:
>  https://tug.org/TUGboat/tb43-3/tb135hagen-lucida.pdf
>
> The four Lucida Sans fonts and the three specialized fonts (Blackletter,
> Calligraphy, Handwriting) are not changed at all from the last release
> (not even version numbers or dates). All other fonts were changed.
>
> On behalf of TUG, I thank Hans, Mikael, and Michael Sharpe, who among
> them did essentially all of the technical font editing for this
> release. And we must thank Chuck Bigelow and Kris Holmes (they approved
> this release, as always), without whom nothing could be done.
>
> Bug reports and character/feature requests are welcome (email to this
> list is best), though, as usual, we cannot promise any particular
> timeline for the next release.
>
> Happy typesetting,
> Karl [Berry]

Otared Kavian
e-mail: otared@gmail.com
Phone: +33 6 88 26 70 95

* Re: Lucida-1.901 (2023-01-21) available
@ 2023-01-25 17:24   ` Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context
From: Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context @ 2023-01-25 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 11:02 AM Otared Kavian via ntg-context
<ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks Hraban for the information and the link to the article by Hans and Mikael about the math fonts in Lucida.
>
> I very much appreciated that article: one sees how the handling of almost impercebtile details in ConTeXt make us to adhere to and love LuaMetaTeX… So a great thank you to Hans and Mikael for all this work!
>
> Regarding the details of vertical alignment in math, I wonder whether the column « : » in front of the equal sign « = », in the combination « := » (used to define for instance a new variable) should be alos centered around the math axis, as explained in the article. For instance in the following example
>
> \setupbodyfont[lucidaot,12pt]
> \starttext
> \startformula
> f(x) := -(u|x) := - \langle u, x \rangle
> \stopformula
> \stopformula
> \startformula
> f : A \longrightarrow B
> \stopformula
> \stoptext
>
> it seems to me that the lower dot (or square…) in the semicolumn of the first formula (in front of the equal sign) is lower than in the second formula.
>
> Best regards: Otared

Thank you for the kind words, Otared,

Regarding the colons (and other symbols with "dots"), I would say it
is still not optimal in Lucida (and difficult to make it "consistent",
there are too many symbols that are at the moment different). But in
your example you can use \colonequals and \colon if you prefer. They
are centered around the math axis.

Best, Mikael

\setupbodyfont[lucidaot,12pt]
\starttext
\startformula
f(x) := -(u|x) \colonequals - \langle u, x \rangle
\stopformula
\startformula
f : A \longrightarrow B \breakhere
f \colon A \longrightarrow B
\stopformula
\startformula
\mathaxisbelow := \colonequals : \colon
\stopformula
\stoptext

* Re: Lucida-1.901 (2023-01-21) available
@ 2023-01-26  9:33     ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-01-26  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 1/25/2023 6:24 PM, Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 11:02 AM Otared Kavian via ntg-context
> <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks Hraban for the information and the link to the article by Hans and Mikael about the math fonts in Lucida.
>>
>> I very much appreciated that article: one sees how the handling of almost impercebtile details in ConTeXt make us to adhere to and love LuaMetaTeX… So a great thank you to Hans and Mikael for all this work!
>>
>> Regarding the details of vertical alignment in math, I wonder whether the column « : » in front of the equal sign « = », in the combination « := » (used to define for instance a new variable) should be alos centered around the math axis, as explained in the article. For instance in the following example
>>
>> \setupbodyfont[lucidaot,12pt]
>> \starttext
>> \startformula
>> f(x) := -(u|x) := - \langle u, x \rangle
>> \stopformula
>> \stopformula
>> \startformula
>> f : A \longrightarrow B
>> \stopformula
>> \stoptext
>>
>> it seems to me that the lower dot (or square…) in the semicolumn of the first formula (in front of the equal sign) is lower than in the second formula.
>>
>> Best regards: Otared
>
> Thank you for the kind words, Otared,
>
> Regarding the colons (and other symbols with "dots"), I would say it
> is still not optimal in Lucida (and difficult to make it "consistent",
> there are too many symbols that are at the moment different). But in
> your example you can use \colonequals and \colon if you prefer. They
> are centered around the math axis.
>
> Best, Mikael
>
> \setupbodyfont[lucidaot,12pt]
> \starttext
> \startformula
> f(x) := -(u|x) \colonequals - \langle u, x \rangle
> \stopformula
> \startformula
> f : A \longrightarrow B \breakhere
> f \colon A \longrightarrow B
> \stopformula
> \startformula
> \mathaxisbelow := \colonequals : \colon
> \stopformula
> \stoptext
There is a (experimental as we played with it and then got distracted)
feature that makes some symbols adapt to spacing in the input.

\starttext

     \setupmathematics[autospacing=yes]

     \setupmathematics[collapsing=2]

     \im{A:B} and \im{A : B}\par
     \im{A:=B} and \im{A := B}\par
     \im{A\colonequals B} and \im{A {\colonequals} B}\par

\stoptext

the second line is not yet ok as collapsing the := (old feature) comes
at the wrong time when we do autospacing (something Mikasl and I now
need to discuss and test)

This autospacing is part of some larger effort, for instance we can also
auto handle fences and so. All this relates to minimizing the input and
make it a bit more natural. Think (1,2) vb (1, 2) where we - due to the
many more classes that we have - want spacing to be right.

All will be revealed in the upcoming releases and the upcoming 3145 page
math manual.

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: autospacing and colonequals (was Lucida-1.901 (2023-01-21) available)
@ 2023-01-26 21:52       ` Otared Kavian via ntg-context
From: Otared Kavian via ntg-context @ 2023-01-26 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans and Mikael,

Thank you both for your attention to my reply and the clarification and hints regarding the comman \colonequals and
	\setupmathematics[autospacing=yes]

Indeed the command \colonequals give the precise expected alignment for the combination glyph « := ». Befors changing the combination « := » to \columnequals in my documents, I am wondering whether one could add a small lua code in order to make an automatic replacement at run time. Actually, since I don’t know of any other instance in which the combination « := » is used to mean something else, would it not be reasonnable to make « := » synonym to \colonequals?

I played a little bit with
	\setupmathematics[autospacing=yes]
and it seems to me that without this command one gets automatic spacing in math mode, while with the above command the spacing obeys what has been inserted in the source. Is this behaviour intended, or is there a mismatch between
	\setupmathematics[autospacing=yes]
and
	\setupmathematics[autospacing=no]

Best regards: Otared

> [...]
>
> \starttext
>
>    \setupmathematics[autospacing=yes]
>
>    \setupmathematics[collapsing=2]
>
>    \im{A:B} and \im{A : B}\par
>    \im{A:=B} and \im{A := B}\par
>    \im{A\colonequals B} and \im{A {\colonequals} B}\par
>
> \stoptext
>
> the second line is not yet ok as collapsing the := (old feature) comes at the wrong time when we do autospacing (something Mikasl and I now need to discuss and test)
>
> This autospacing is part of some larger effort, for instance we can also auto handle fences and so. All this relates to minimizing the input and make it a bit more natural. Think (1,2) vb (1, 2) where we - due to the many more classes that we have - want spacing to be right.
>
> All will be revealed in the upcoming releases and the upcoming 3145 page math manual.

Otared Kavian
e-mail: otared@gmail.com <mailto:otared@gmail.com>
Phone: +33 6 88 26 70 95

* Re: autospacing and colonequals (was Lucida-1.901 (2023-01-21) available)
@ 2023-01-26 22:23         ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-01-26 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otared Kavian via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 1/26/2023 10:52 PM, Otared Kavian via ntg-context wrote:

> Indeed the command \colonequals give the precise expected alignment for
> \columnequals in my documents, I am wondering whether one could add a
> small lua code in order to make an automatic replacement at run time.
> Actually, since I don’t know of any other instance in which the
> combination « := » is used to mean something else, would it not be
> reasonnable to make « := » synonym to \colonequals?

that's what the (has-always-been-there)

\setupmathematics[collapsing=2]

is for (needs latest version to work when the space trickery i senabled)

@ 2023-01-27 17:26           ` Otared Kavian via ntg-context
From: Otared Kavian via ntg-context @ 2023-01-27 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

Thank you for the hint: indeed
	\setupmathematics[collapsing=2]
does exactly what I was looking for…

Now, like many others, I am just waiting for the 3145 pages document about maths in ConTeXt :-)

Best regards: Otared

> On 26 Jan 2023, at 23:23, Hans Hagen via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> On 1/26/2023 10:52 PM, Otared Kavian via ntg-context wrote:
>
>> Indeed the command \colonequals give the precise expected alignment for the combination glyph « := ». Befors changing the combination « := » to \columnequals in my documents, I am wondering whether one could add a small lua code in order to make an automatic replacement at run time. Actually, since I don’t know of any other instance in which the combination « := » is used to mean something else, would it not be reasonnable to make « := » synonym to \colonequals?
>
> that's what the (has-always-been-there)
>
> \setupmathematics[collapsing=2]
>
> is for (needs latest version to work when the space trickery i senabled)
>
> Hans

>       tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl

Otared Kavian
e-mail: otared@gmail.com
Phone: +33 6 88 26 70 95

* Re: autospacing and colonequals (was Lucida-1.901 (2023-01-21) available)
@ 2023-01-27 17:31             ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-01-27 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otared Kavian via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 1/27/2023 6:26 PM, Otared Kavian via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> Thank you for the hint: indeed
> \setupmathematics[collapsing=2]
> does exactly what I was looking for…
>
> Now, like many others, I am just waiting for the 3145 pages document
> about maths in ConTeXt :-)
It will be 3147 because we need to demo

\setupmathematics[hz=yes]

too.

@ 2023-01-27 17:58               ` Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context @ 2023-01-27 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans Hagen via ntg-context; +Cc: Aditya Mahajan

On Fri, 27 Jan 2023, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:

> On 1/27/2023 6:26 PM, Otared Kavian via ntg-context wrote:
> > Hi Hans,
> >
> > Thank you for the hint: indeed
> > \setupmathematics[collapsing=2]
> > does exactly what I was looking for…
> >
> > Now, like many others, I am just waiting for the 3145 pages document about
> > maths in ConTeXt :-)
> It will be 3147 because we need to demo

No, it has to be 31415 pages now (so that the number of pages eventually converges to pi)!

Aditya

* Re: autospacing and colonequals (was Lucida-1.901 (2023-01-21) available)
@ 2023-01-27 19:56                 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-01-27 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 1/27/2023 6:58 PM, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2023, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
>
>> On 1/27/2023 6:26 PM, Otared Kavian via ntg-context wrote:
>>> Hi Hans,
>>>
>>> Thank you for the hint: indeed
>>> \setupmathematics[collapsing=2]
>>> does exactly what I was looking for…
>>>
>>> Now, like many others, I am just waiting for the 3145 pages document about
>>> maths in ConTeXt :-)
>> It will be 3147 because we need to demo
>
> No, it has to be 31415 pages now (so that the number of pages eventually converges to pi)!
ah, but then we need a volunteer for those thousands of samples (of show
each one in 15 math fonts to get to that number of pages)

(a run would take some 5-10 minutes depending on the complexity)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE