* Re: ConTeXt meeting 2023(!)
@ 2022-05-17 18:22 Damien Thiriet via ntg-context
From: Damien Thiriet via ntg-context @ 2022-05-17 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Damien Thiriet

Hi,

Being a teacher, I would indeed prefer a meeting during holidays,
that would give me a chance to attend sometimes, and meeting locations
are often mid-way between France and Poland…

Greetings,

Damien Thiriet

* Re: ConTeXt meeting 2023(!)
       [not found] ` <EFBC60CB-06A0-412C-8401-5EE49AE1FFC9@scorecrow.com>
@ 2022-05-19  7:25   ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-05-19  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 19.05.22 um 00:22 schrieb bruce@scorecrow.com:

>> On 17 May 2022, at 07:49, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Would that make a difference for you?
>
> Seven days is a big time commitment, unless you are a major user of ConTeXt. Is there a possibility to split it up into "professional" during the week and "hobbyist" over the weekend so people could come for just the weekend, or the whole week?

For most of us it *is* a hobby and the meeting kind of holidays.

IMO meeting over the whole week is a big part of the appeal, otherwise
we couldn’t fit all the interesting stuff into the schedule and the
personal interaction also would fall short.

I remember we had a similar split when we combined with EuroTeX. I was
new to the community at that time, and I found the sudden influx of
people over the weekend very confusing. YMMV

It was always possible to register and come for just some days.
We discourage it, since it disturbs the community experience, pickup is
additional effort, and we often must pay the venue for the whole week
(it depends).

In 2022 the weekend would mean: maybe a talk or two on Friday, CG
members meeting on Saturday morning, excursion for the rest of the day
and nothing but departure on Sunday. In other years we met e.g. from
Sunday to Saturday, and on the first day we are busy arriving and
setting up.

BTW it looks like Jano will host us in Sibřina again in September of
2023. And we’re discussing “uncharted territory” for 2024.

Hraban

* Re: ConTeXt meeting 2023(!)
@ 2022-05-18 22:42 ` Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context
       [not found] ` <EFBC60CB-06A0-412C-8401-5EE49AE1FFC9@scorecrow.com>
From: Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context @ 2022-05-18 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 17 May 2022, at 07:49, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> Would that make a difference for you?

Seven days is a big time commitment, unless you are a major user of ConTeXt. Is there a possibility to split it up into "professional" during the week and "hobbyist" over the weekend so people could come for just the weekend, or the whole week?

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

* ConTeXt meeting 2023(!)
@ 2022-05-17  6:49 Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
       [not found] ` <EFBC60CB-06A0-412C-8401-5EE49AE1FFC9@scorecrow.com>
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-05-17  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi y’all,

at the latest online meeting as well as within the CG board, we were
discussing the ConTeXt meeting in 2023, since nothing is planned yet.

[date]

The usual fall date makes it difficult for students and teachers to attend.

We were discussing a date in August (or even July). Would that make a
difference for you? What would you prefer?

One argument against a date within the summer holidays is that many
venues are booked for years in advance, but we got at least one offer
(see below).

[place]

While we were due to go to Eastern Europe again, it looks like Jano as
well as Mojca are too busy to organize a meeting. (And I’m very sorry if
I misunderstood!)

Please stand up whoever would like to organize next year’s meeting!

Otherwise I might invite you to Maibach again (where we were in 2017),
they told me they still have open slots in summer.

Hoping for many more exciting ConTeXt meetings,
Hraban

👉 https://meeting.contextgarden.net 👈