* Switching to righttoleft without changing margins of delimited text
@ 2021-12-13 16:25 Denis Maier via ntg-context
From: Denis Maier via ntg-context @ 2021-12-13 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: denis.maier

I have the following example:

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\setupdelimitedtext[blockquote]
                [leftmargin=1.5em,rightmargin=0em,]

\starttext

\input knuth

\startblockquote
\input knuth
\stopblockquote

\startblockquote
\righttoleft
\input knuth
\stopblockquote

\input knuth

\stoptext
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

\righttext seems to change the locations of the margins, i.e. leftmargin becomes rightmargin and vice-versa. That may be nice in some situations, but I need to keep the margins where they are. Is there a way to do this? (Maybe \righttoleft is the wrong command?) I thought I could define a new rtlblockquote with appropriate settings, like so:

\definedelimitedtext[rtlblockquote]
\setupdelimitedtext[rtlblockquote]
                [leftmargin=0em,rightmargin=1.5em,before={\righttoleft}]

But maybe there's a better way. Any hints?

Denis

* Re: Switching to righttoleft without changing margins of delimited text
@ 2021-12-13 16:42 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-12-13 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/13/2021 5:25 PM, Denis Maier via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following example:
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> \setupdelimitedtext[blockquote]
>
>                  [leftmargin=1.5em,rightmargin=0em,]
>
> \starttext
>
> \input knuth
>
> \startblockquote
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stopblockquote
>
> \startblockquote
>
> \righttoleft
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stopblockquote
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> \righttext seems to change the locations of the margins, i.e. leftmargin
> becomes rightmargin and vice-versa. That may be nice in some situations,
> but I need to keep the margins where they are. Is there a way to do
> this? (Maybe \righttoleft is the wrong command?) I thought I could
> define a new rtlblockquote with appropriate settings, like so:
>
> \definedelimitedtext[rtlblockquote]
>
> \setupdelimitedtext[rtlblockquote]
>
>                  [leftmargin=0em,rightmargin=1.5em,before={\righttoleft}]
>
> But maybe there’s a better way. Any hints?
You switch directions when we're still in vertical mode, so you need:

\startblockquote
     \dontleavehmode\righttoleft\ignorespaces
     \input knuth
\stopblockquote

I can add this:

\permanent\protected\def\rtltext

{\groupedcommand{\dontleavehmode\righttoleft\ignorespaces}\removeunwantedspaces}

\permanent\protected\def\ltrtext

{\groupedcommand{\dontleavehmode\lefttoright\ignorespaces}\removeunwantedspaces}

but only when you wikify it

\startblockquote
     \rtltext{\input{knuth}}
\stopblockquote

* Re: Switching to righttoleft without changing margins of delimited text
@ 2021-12-13 17:19   ` Denis Maier via ntg-context
From: Denis Maier via ntg-context @ 2021-12-13 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: j.hagen, ntg-context; +Cc: denis.maier

Great, thanks, I'll wikify. Is that lmtx-only or will it work in mkiv?

Denis

@ 2021-12-13 19:06     ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-12-13 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: denis.maier, ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 12/13/2021 6:19 PM, denis.maier@unibe.ch wrote:
> Great, thanks, I'll wikify. Is that lmtx-only or will it work in mkiv?
i'll also add it to mkiv

Hans

* Re: Switching to righttoleft without changing margins of delimited text
@ 2021-12-13 19:27       ` Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد via ntg-context
From: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد via ntg-context @ 2021-12-13 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد

Hi,

On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 12:06:33 -0700, Hans Hagen via ntg-context
<ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> i'll also add it to mkiv

By about when do you expect mkiv to become frozen a la mkii?

Idris
--
Idris Samawi Hamid, Professor
Department of Philosophy

* Re: Switching to righttoleft without changing margins of delimited text
@ 2021-12-13 21:58         ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-12-13 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس
	سماوي حامد,
	mailing list for ConTeXt users
  Cc: Hans Hagen

On 12/13/2021 8:27 PM, Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 12:06:33 -0700, Hans Hagen via ntg-context
> <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
>> i'll also add it to mkiv
>
> By about when do you expect mkiv to become frozen a la mkii?
It is already sort of frozen in the sense that new features and/or
mechanisms will end up in lmtx. But of course when we find serious bugs
they can get solved. If it works for you it likely will keep working
(assuming that luatex keeps working as it does).

Hans

* Re: Switching to righttoleft without changing margins of delimited text
@ 2021-12-14  9:57   ` Denis Maier via ntg-context
From: Denis Maier via ntg-context @ 2021-12-14  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: j.hagen, ntg-context; +Cc: denis.maier

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1860 bytes --]

Hi Hans,

[... ]

> > %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

> > \righttext seems to change the locations of the margins, i.e.

> > leftmargin becomes rightmargin and vice-versa. That may be nice in

> > some situations, but I need to keep the margins where they are. Is

> > there a way to do this? (Maybe \righttoleft is the wrong command?) I

> > thought I could define a new rtlblockquote with appropriate settings, like

> so:

> > \definedelimitedtext[rtlblockquote]

> > \setupdelimitedtext[rtlblockquote]

> > [leftmargin=0em,rightmargin=1.5em,before={\righttoleft}]

> > But maybe there’s a better way. Any hints?

> You switch directions when we're still in vertical mode, so you need:

> \startblockquote

>      \dontleavehmode\righttoleft\ignorespaces

>      \input knuth

> \stopblockquote

I'm afraid this doesn't give the desired result. While this fixes the inverted margins issue, this keeps the whole paragraph in LTR-mode.

[cid:image002.jpg@01D7F0D9.6EFC58C0]

The expected result (created with rtlblockquote) would be this:

[cid:image004.jpg@01D7F0D9.6EFC58C0]

So, the question remains: is a dedicated startstop-pair to achieve this (what’s the proper name of those anyway? In latex these are environments, but that feels odd in context)? Or are there easier solutions?

Denis

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 6251 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2: image002.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 24678 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.3: image004.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 23016 bytes --]

* Re: Switching to righttoleft without changing margins of delimited text
@ 2021-12-14 13:09     ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2021-12-14 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: denis.maier, ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 12/14/2021 10:57 AM, denis.maier@unibe.ch wrote:
> Hi Hans,

i'll add support for the align parameter

    \usealignparameter\delimitedtextparameter

but you need to adapth left/right margins to your taste as in the bidi
concept (being part of a line) left and rightskip swap

\definedelimitedtext
   [mine]
   [align={flushleft,r2l},leftmargin=3cm,rightmargin=0cm]

\starttext
     \input tufte
     \startmine
         \input tufte
     \stopmine
     \input tufte
\stoptext

* Re: Switching to righttoleft without changing margins of delimited text
@ 2021-12-14 13:21       ` Denis Maier via ntg-context
From: Denis Maier via ntg-context @ 2021-12-14 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: j.hagen, ntg-context; +Cc: denis.maier

Great. So another thing to wikify. I was already wondering why there was no align parameter.

Denis