* UTF-8 characters being dropped from typefile
@ 2020-11-11  9:08 ntg
From: ntg @ 2020-11-11  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for this really, really basic question but...

I have the following 3 line source file:

\starttext
\typefile{test-listing.txt}
\stoptext

The file "test-listing.txt" is UTF-8 and includes the character U+25B8 (black right-pointing small triangle) which is being dropped from the output.

The console shows:

fonts           > checking > char ▸ (U+025B8) in font 'LMMono12-Regular' with id 8: missing

Which explains why the character is being dropped. What I don't understand is why is LMMono12-Regular being used? I thought I had read somewhere that TeX Gyre fonts were now the default (I'm on ConTeXt  ver: 2020.11.05 23:01 LMTX) ?

If not, is there an installation level config  setting to make them the default or do I need to work out the relevant \start ... \stoptypescript commands?

Thanks in advance.
--
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

* Re: UTF-8 characters being dropped from typefile
@ 2020-11-11 15:37 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-11-11 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/11/20 10:08 AM, ntg@scorecrow.com wrote:
> Sorry for this really, really basic question but...
>
> I have the following 3 line source file:
>
> \starttext
> \typefile{test-listing.txt}
> \stoptext

Hi Bruce,

a MWE that shows your problem would be:

  \setupbodyfont[cursor]
  \starttext
  \startTEXpage[offset=1em]
  a ▸
  \stopTEXpage
  \stoptext

> Which explains why the character is being dropped. What I don't
> understand is why is LMMono12-Regular being used? I thought I had
> read somewhere that TeX Gyre fonts were now the default (I'm on
> ConTeXt  ver: 2020.11.05 23:01 LMTX) ?

Latin Modern are the default fonts in ConTeXt.

BTW, TeX Gyre Cursor doesn’t seem to contain the character you mention.

> If not, is there an installation level config  setting to make them
> the default or do I need to work out the relevant \start ...
> \stoptypescript commands?

I think the first line in the sample above shows a simple approach.

I hope it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: UTF-8 characters being dropped from typefile
@ 2020-11-11 22:10   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-11-11 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pablo Rodriguez schrieb am 11.11.2020 um 16:37:
> On 11/11/20 10:08 AM, ntg@scorecrow.com wrote:
>> Sorry for this really, really basic question but...
>>
>> I have the following 3 line source file:
>>
>> \starttext
>> \typefile{test-listing.txt}
>> \stoptext
>
> Hi Bruce,
>
> a MWE that shows your problem would be:
>
>    \setupbodyfont[cursor]
>    \starttext
>    \startTEXpage[offset=1em]
>    a ▸
>    \stopTEXpage
>    \stoptext
>
>> Which explains why the character is being dropped. What I don't
>> understand is why is LMMono12-Regular being used? I thought I had
>> read somewhere that TeX Gyre fonts were now the default (I'm on
>> ConTeXt  ver: 2020.11.05 23:01 LMTX) ?
>
> Latin Modern are the default fonts in ConTeXt.
>
> BTW, TeX Gyre Cursor doesn’t seem to contain the character you mention.

DejaVu has the symbol and can be a option either as main font or just as
fallback (but this can break the alignment) for another font.

\setupbodyfont [dejavu]

\starttext

\rm Triangle: ▸

\ss Triangle: ▸