* [NTG-context] Struggling with the distance and right margin text
@ 2024-03-15 13:06 Ursula Hermann
From: Ursula Hermann @ 2024-03-15 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear List,

On the first page I had this example:
\definepapersize[MyBook][width=19cm,height=29.7cm]
\setuppapersize[MyBook][MyBook] % Prints on paper the size of MyBook %\setuppapersize[MyBook][A4] %Would print MyBook-size pages on A4 paper
\setupbodyfont[modern, 12.50pt]
\definemargindata  [MyInMargin][inleft]
\definemarginframed[MyInMargin][topframe=on,bottomframe=on,rulethickness=1pt,width=1.90cm]
\defineenumeration
  [theorem]
  [
    text=Theorem,
    title=yes,
    width=fit,
    distance=0.2em,
    alternative=serried,
  ]
\definetextbackground[GrayBackground][
  location=paragraph,
  background=color,
  backgroundcolor=lightgray,
  leftoffset=.5\bodyfontsize,
  rightoffset=.5\bodyfontsize,
  topoffset=.5\bodyfontsize,
  bottomoffset=.5\bodyfontsize,
  frame=off,]
  \margintext{\blackrule[color=black, height=0.10ex, width=1cm]\\}
  \blackrule[color=black, height=0.10ex, width=13.50cm]
\starttext
\margintext {1.1.1}
{\bf Beispiel 3.2.17. (Vertauschung von All- und Existenzquantor).} \par

So  I have here an example from the second page:

\definemargindata[inrightmargin][right][margin=margin,width=.50em\rightmarginwidth,style=,color=]

\definemarginframed[MyInMargin][topframe=on,bottomframe=on,rulethickness=1pt, width=.90cm]
\blackrule[color=black, height=0.10ex, width=13.40cm]
{\blackrule[color=black, height=0.10ex, width=1cm, distance=.90cm]\par
\defineenumeration
  [theorem]
  [
    text=Theorem,
    title=yes,
    width=fit,
    distance=0.2em,
    alternative=serried,
  ]
\inright{3.2.22}
{\bf Theorem 3.2.22 (Rechenregeln für Quantoren)}. Seien \m P(\m x)und

My problem here is that there is not the same distance between the  the text and the  margintext .

And now the margintext should be on the right side.

So maybe someone could help me please.
Many thanks.

maillist : ntg-context@ntg.nl / https://mailman.ntg.nl/mailman3/lists/ntg-context.ntg.nl

* [NTG-context] Re: Struggling with the distance and right margin text
@ 2024-03-15 19:00 ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2024-03-15 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Pablo Rodriguez

On 3/15/24 14:06, Ursula Hermann wrote:
> Dear List,

Dear Ursula,

this might help you (it isn’t perfect, but you just seem to copy and
paste fragments from your source files):

  %\showframe\showstruts
  \mainlanguage[de-at]
  \definemargindata  [MyInMargin][ininner]
  \definemarginframed[MyInMargin]
    [topframe=on,bottomframe=on,rulethickness=1pt,width=1.90cm]
  \defineframed[topruletitle]
    [width=max,
     frame=off,
     topframe=on,
     rulethickness=1pt,
     align={justify},
     extras=\dontleavehmode]
  \starttext
  \topruletitle{\MyInMargin {1.1.1}\bf
  Beispiel 3.2.17. (Vertauschung von All- und Existenzquantor).} \par
  \input knuth\page

  \topruletitle{\MyInMargin{3.2.22}{\bf
  Theorem 3.2.22 (Rechenregeln für Quantoren)}. Seien \m P(\m x)und
\input zapf b}
  \stoptext

Sorry for saying that again, but please elaborate both your minimal
samples and your descriptions of the issues you are experiencing.

Some comments on the code fragments you sent.

First of all, please include always code that can be compiled simply
after being copied and pasted.

This requires \starttext (most of the time) and \stoptext (mandatory to
avoid stupid errors).

> \definepapersize[MyBook][width=19cm,height=29.7cm]
> \setuppapersize[MyBook][MyBook] % Prints on paper the size of MyBook
> %\setuppapersize[MyBook][A4] %Would print MyBook-size pages on A4 paper
> \setupbodyfont[modern, 12.50pt]

If these lines are irrelevant for the issue you are experiencing, please
don’t include them.

> \definemargindata  [MyInMargin][inleft]
> \definemarginframed[MyInMargin][topframe=on,bottomframe=on,rulethickness=1pt,width=1.90cm]

You define this margin framed, but your sample makes no use of it.

Sorry, but I don’t get it.

> \defineenumeration
>   [theorem]
>   [
>     text=Theorem,
>     title=yes,
>     width=fit,
>     distance=0.2em,
>     alternative=serried,
>   ]
> \definetextbackground[GrayBackground][
>   location=paragraph,
>   background=color,
>   backgroundcolor=lightgray,
>   leftoffset=.5\bodyfontsize,
>   rightoffset=.5\bodyfontsize,
>   topoffset=.5\bodyfontsize,
>   bottomoffset=.5\bodyfontsize,
>   frame=off,]
>   \margintext{\blackrule[color=black, height=0.10ex, width=1cm]\\}
>   \blackrule[color=black, height=0.10ex, width=13.50cm]

If your sample includes no theorem or text background, please remove
these definitions when sending code.

BTW, avoid include text content (such as margin and body rules [but not
their definitions]) before \starttext.

Also, use \clrf instead of \\ (since the mailing list displays the
relevant line as ("\" instead of "\\"):

>   \margintext{\blackrule[color=black, height=0.10ex, width=1cm]\}

Here starts your text:

> \starttext
> \margintext {1.1.1}
> {\bf Beispiel 3.2.17. (Vertauschung von All- und Existenzquantor).} \par

Your margin text is undefined. Your code has a defined margin text
command, but it isn’t used.

> So  I have here an example from the second page:

Sorry, but I’m having the impression you are using ConTeXt as a kind of
command-based DTP software (which I think it isn’t at all).

Or, do you define commands for each page?

I think it is better to define a single margin text command and use a
doublesided page setup.

> \definemargindata[inrightmargin][right][margin=margin,width=.50em\rightmarginwidth,style=,color=]
> \definemarginframed[MyInMargin][topframe=on,bottomframe=on,rulethickness=1pt, width=.90cm]

Again, margin text commands defined, but never used.

> \blackrule[color=black, height=0.10ex, width=13.40cm]
> {\blackrule[color=black, height=0.10ex, width=1cm, distance=.90cm]\par

Here you open a brace that is not closed at all.

At least, consider that this won’t be extremely readable for other
people (this is only a sample).

It also may be problematic for you, if you leave the source untouched
for some weeks.

> \defineenumeration
>   [theorem]
>   [
>     text=Theorem,
>     title=yes,
>     width=fit,
>     distance=0.2em,
>     alternative=serried,
>   ]

At least, it would be better not to include a definition inside content
that seems to (or may) be grouped with braces.

BTW, it is exactly the same definition as the one included before.

It isn’t just to be removed in minimal samples, your final code doesn’t
need the duplicated command definition.

> \inright{3.2.22}
> {\bf Theorem 3.2.22 (Rechenregeln für Quantoren)}. Seien \m P(\m x)und
>
> My problem here is that there is not the same distance between the  the
> text and the  margintext .

Please, always compile the minimal samples that you send to the list.

This is simply to ensure other list subscribers will get the same
results as you.

After adding a final \stoptext command, I had to run:

  mtxrun --script check source-sample.tex

This allowed me to spot the problem with the unclosed brace (mentioned
before).

> And now the margintext should be on the right side.

I get the second margin text on the right side (after all, this is what
\inright does).

> So maybe someone could help me please.

Please, help us to help you.

Please, send both more verbose and acurate descriptions and minimal
working code samples.

I really hope this may help,

Pablo

@ 2024-03-22 14:57   ` Ursula Hermann
From: Ursula Hermann @ 2024-03-22 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Pablo,

Many thanks for your example. Sorry for writing so late.

At least I found out, how it works for me .  This is the best way.

\setuppapersize[A8,landscape]
\setupbodyfont[termes, 12.50pt]
\setuplayout[inrightmargin=5.1cm
             backspace=2.9cm,
             inleftmargin=0cm,width=4cm]
\inrightmargin{\blackrule\\{3.2.2}}\par \dontleavehmode \blackrule
\showframe
\starttext
Me

\stoptext

________________________________

@ 2024-03-22 17:29     ` Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context
From: Pablo Rodriguez via ntg-context @ 2024-03-22 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3/22/24 15:57, Ursula Hermann wrote:
> Dear Pablo,
>
> Many thanks for your example. Sorry for writing so late.

Dear Ursula,

many thanks for your minimal sample.

> At least I found out, how it works for me .  This is the best way.
> [...]
> \inrightmargin{\blackrule\\{3.2.2}}\par \dontleavehmode \blackrule

It is not clear to me why you need to remain in horizontal mode after a
paragraph break.

At least, with the following commands, I get the same results:

  \inoutermargin{\blackrule\\{3.2.2}}

  \blackrule

Just in case it might help,

Pablo

@ 2024-03-22 17:56     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2024-03-22 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ursula Hermann schrieb am 22.03.2024 um 15:57:
> Dear Pablo,
>

> Many thanks for your example. Sorry for writing so late.
>
> At least I found out, how it works for me .  This is the best way.
>

> \setuppapersize[A8,landscape]
> \setupbodyfont[termes, 12.50pt]
> \setuplayout[inrightmargin=5.1cm
>               backspace=2.9cm,
>               inleftmargin=0cm,width=4cm]

You can shorten the layout to

\setuplayout
   [backspace=2.9cm,
    width=4cm]

because inleftmargin and inrightmargin don't exist as layout settings
but there is leftmargin and rightmargin without the leading *in*.

You can add

\showlayout

to see the effects on the layout.

Wolfgang