* MetaPost cutdraw
@ 2022-07-05 22:10 Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-07-05 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I’m trying to understand MetaPost better.

I’d like to draw a fat line that’s cut at its end points.
I learned, “cutdraw” should do the trick, but I get a parallelogram
instead of a rectangle.

What’s wrong?

Hraban

\startMPpage

draw (0,20)--(20,20) withpen pensquare scaled 10;

cutdraw (0,0)--(20,0) withpen pensquare scaled 10;

% just to show start and end
draw (0,-10)--(0,30);
draw (20,-10)--(20,30);

\stopMPpage

* Re: MetaPost cutdraw
@ 2022-07-06  5:10 ` Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context @ 2022-07-06  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context; +Cc: Aditya Mahajan

On Wed, 6 Jul 2022, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:

> Hi, I’m trying to understand MetaPost better.
>
> I’d like to draw a fat line that’s cut at its end points.

You mean like linecap = butt?

\startMPpage[offset=5mm]
  path p;

  p := origin -- (7cm,0);
  interim  linecap := butt;
  draw p withpen pencircle scaled 5mm;

  p := p shifted (0,2cm);
  interim  linecap := rounded;
  draw p withpen pencircle scaled 5mm;

  p := p shifted (0,2cm);
  interim  linecap := squared;
  draw p withpen pencircle scaled 5mm;

\stopMPpage

> I learned, “cutdraw” should do the trick, but I get a parallelogram
> instead of a rectangle.

Seems to be something weird with pensquare:

\startMPpage[offset=5mm]
  path p;

  p := origin -- (7cm,0);
  % interim  linecap := butt;
  cutdraw p withpen pensquare scaled 5mm;

  p := p shifted (0,2cm);
  interim  linecap := rounded;
  draw p withpen pensquare scaled 5mm;

  p := p shifted (0,2cm);
  interim  linecap := squared;
  draw p withpen pensquare scaled 5mm;

\stopMPpage

Aditya

* Re: MetaPost cutdraw
@ 2022-07-06  7:15   ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-07-06  7:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 7/6/2022 7:10 AM, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2022, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
>
>> Hi, I’m trying to understand MetaPost better.
>>
>> I’d like to draw a fat line that’s cut at its end points.
>
> You mean like linecap = butt?
>
> \startMPpage[offset=5mm]
>    path p;
>
>    p := origin -- (7cm,0);
>    interim  linecap := butt;
>    draw p withpen pencircle scaled 5mm;
>
>    p := p shifted (0,2cm);
>    interim  linecap := rounded;
>    draw p withpen pencircle scaled 5mm;
>
>    p := p shifted (0,2cm);
>    interim  linecap := squared;
>    draw p withpen pencircle scaled 5mm;
>
> \stopMPpage
>
>> I learned, “cutdraw” should do the trick, but I get a parallelogram
>> instead of a rectangle.
>
> Seems to be something weird with pensquare:
>
> \startMPpage[offset=5mm]
>    path p;
>
>    p := origin -- (7cm,0);
>    % interim  linecap := butt;
>    cutdraw p withpen pensquare scaled 5mm;
>
>    p := p shifted (0,2cm);
>    interim  linecap := rounded;
>    draw p withpen pensquare scaled 5mm;
>
>    p := p shifted (0,2cm);
>    interim  linecap := squared;
>    draw p withpen pensquare scaled 5mm;
>
> \stopMPpage
\startMPpage[offset=5mm]
     path p;

     p := origin -- (7cm,0);

     interim  linecap := squared;

     draw p withpen ((pensquare            ) scaled 5mm) withcolor red ;
     draw envelope  ((pensquare            ) scaled 5mm) of p withcolor
green ;
     draw envelope  ((pensquare rotated eps) scaled 5mm) of p withcolor
blue ;
\stopMPpage

(there is an "ontarget" chapter about envelopes; mikael and i spent
quite some time figuring out a few things but in the end conclused that
mp des the right thing given the strategy it folows but it definitely
has side effects)

Hans

* Re: MetaPost cutdraw
@ 2022-07-06  9:27     ` Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
From: Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context @ 2022-07-06  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Henning Hraban Ramm

Am 06.07.22 um 09:15 schrieb Hans Hagen via ntg-context:
> On 7/6/2022 7:10 AM, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Jul 2022, Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I’m trying to understand MetaPost better.
>>>
>>> I’d like to draw a fat line that’s cut at its end points.
>>
>> You mean like linecap = butt?

Yes, but that doesn’t behave differently.

> \startMPpage[offset=5mm]
>      path p;
>
>      p := origin -- (7cm,0);
>
>      interim  linecap := squared;
>
>      draw p withpen ((pensquare            ) scaled 5mm) withcolor red ;
>      draw envelope  ((pensquare            ) scaled 5mm) of p withcolor
> green ;
>      draw envelope  ((pensquare rotated eps) scaled 5mm) of p withcolor
> blue ;
> \stopMPpage
>
> (there is an "ontarget" chapter about envelopes; mikael and i spent
> quite some time figuring out a few things but in the end conclused that
> mp des the right thing given the strategy it folows but it definitely
> has side effects)

Thank you for the insight, but does that mean I can’t get my “butt
capped” lines and I must shorten the lines by half the pen size?

Hraban

* Re: MetaPost cutdraw
@ 2022-07-06 21:04       ` Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context
From: Mikael Sundqvist via ntg-context @ 2022-07-06 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 6, 2022 at 11:29 AM Henning Hraban Ramm via ntg-context
<ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> Am 06.07.22 um 09:15 schrieb Hans Hagen via ntg-context:

> >> You mean like linecap = butt?
>
> Yes, but that doesn’t behave differently.
>

> > \startMPpage[offset=5mm]
> >      path p;
> >
> >      p := origin -- (7cm,0);
> >
> >      interim  linecap := squared;
> >
> >      draw p withpen ((pensquare            ) scaled 5mm) withcolor red ;
> >      draw envelope  ((pensquare            ) scaled 5mm) of p withcolor
> > green ;
> >      draw envelope  ((pensquare rotated eps) scaled 5mm) of p withcolor
> > blue ;
> > \stopMPpage
> >
> > (there is an "ontarget" chapter about envelopes; mikael and i spent
> > quite some time figuring out a few things but in the end conclused that
> > mp des the right thing given the strategy it folows but it definitely
> > has side effects)
>
> Thank you for the insight, but does that mean I can’t get my “butt
> capped” lines and I must shorten the lines by half the pen size?
>
> Hraban

Hraban,

with the new upload you can do

\startMPpage[offset=1dk]
pickup pencircle scaled 4 ;
path p ; p := origin -- (20,0) ;
draw p withcolor darkyellow ;
draw p yshifted 5 withlinecap butt withcolor darkred ;
draw p yshifted -5 withlinecap squared withcolor darkgreen ;
for i within currentpicture :
drawpoints pathpart i withpen pencircle scaled 1 ;
endfor ;
\stopMPpage

That is, you can set linecap for each draw. I hope it helps.

/Mikael