* TeX capacity exceeded.... but....
@ 2022-03-17 22:14 jbf via ntg-context
From: jbf via ntg-context @ 2022-03-17 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to understand what is happening in this particular instance:

While playing with a suggestion to a recent request (re
\currentlistentrynumber etc.) I suddenly got a compiling error:

TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [file=2000].

I returned everything to how it was before I was trying out those
suggestions, but still got the error, so I began the \stopdocument
routine fairly early in the document... same problem still. Then I
brought the \stopdocument well forward, immediately after the standard
makeup pages and the document compiled. When I removed \stopdocument,
the entire document compiled as it should.

So the basic question is: what can be causing the error message? This
has happened to me on two occasions with this document - it occurred
once before I had even begun experimenting with the \currentlistentry
options, so I do not think that the problem lies there. And when it
occurred that time, I again solved it with \stopdocument routine, but
further into the document. And similarly, once it compiled that far and
I removed it, the whole document compiled once more.

If it is too complicated an explanation for an email response, maybe
just point me to a document that explains the issue.

Julian

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded.... but....
@ 2022-03-17 22:29 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2022-03-17 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jbf via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 3/17/2022 11:14 PM, jbf via ntg-context wrote:
> I'd like to understand what is happening in this particular instance:
>
> While playing with a suggestion to a recent request (re
> \currentlistentrynumber etc.) I suddenly got a compiling error:
>
> TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [file=2000].
>
> I returned everything to how it was before I was trying out those
> suggestions, but still got the error, so I began the \stopdocument
> routine fairly early in the document... same problem still. Then I
> brought the \stopdocument well forward, immediately after the standard
> makeup pages and the document compiled. When I removed \stopdocument,
> the entire document compiled as it should.
>
> So the basic question is: what can be causing the error message? This
> has happened to me on two occasions with this document - it occurred
> once before I had even begun experimenting with the \currentlistentry
> options, so I do not think that the problem lies there. And when it
> occurred that time, I again solved it with \stopdocument routine, but
> further into the document. And similarly, once it compiled that far and
> I removed it, the whole document compiled once more.
>
> If it is too complicated an explanation for an email response, maybe
> just point me to a document that explains the issue.
a guess ... it looks like you load the same file so you have some
nesting / grouping problem; (some file loaders keep track of being
loaded but you probably load before that is done)

Hans

* Re: TeX capacity exceeded.... but....
@ 2022-03-17 22:34 ` Rik Kabel via ntg-context
From: Rik Kabel via ntg-context @ 2022-03-17 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Rik Kabel

On 2022-03-17 18:14, jbf via ntg-context wrote:
> I'd like to understand what is happening in this particular instance:
>
> While playing with a suggestion to a recent request (re
> \currentlistentrynumber etc.) I suddenly got a compiling error:
>
> TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [file=2000].
>
> I returned everything to how it was before I was trying out those
> suggestions, but still got the error, so I began the \stopdocument
> routine fairly early in the document... same problem still. Then I
> brought the \stopdocument well forward, immediately after the standard
> makeup pages and the document compiled. When I removed \stopdocument,
> the entire document compiled as it should.
>
> So the basic question is: what can be causing the error message? This
> has happened to me on two occasions with this document - it occurred
> once before I had even begun experimenting with the \currentlistentry
> options, so I do not think that the problem lies there. And when it
> occurred that time, I again solved it with \stopdocument routine, but
> further into the document. And similarly, once it compiled that far
> and I removed it, the whole document compiled once more.
>
> If it is too complicated an explanation for an email response, maybe
> just point me to a document that explains the issue.
>
> Julian

I cannot explain what is happening, but I can tell you what I do when I
come across an unexpected failure: I delete the .tuc file (and .tua file
as well if present) and try again.

This is an easy thing to do before halving the source (moving \stop) and
such.

--
Rik