* Spacing problem around decimal point
@ 2023-03-26  2:20 Gavin via ntg-context
From: Gavin via ntg-context @ 2023-03-26  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi List,

I’m getting strange spaces around some decimal points after a clean LMTX install. MWE:

\starttext
\startformula
	v = \frac{1.32}{1.41} = 0.935
\stopformula
\stoptext

This produces the result attached below. The 1.32 looks fine, but the next two numbers have excess space around the decimal point. Adding the line

  \showmakeup[mathglue] %\mathspacingmode=1

to the preamble reveals that the second and third decimal points are being treated as binary operators. It’s very strang. Are others getting this?

Gavin

[-- Attachment #2: PastedGraphic-1.pdf --]

* Re: Spacing problem around decimal point
@ 2023-03-26 10:16 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-03-26 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gavin via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 3/26/2023 4:20 AM, Gavin via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I’m getting strange spaces around some decimal points after a clean LMTX install. MWE:
>
> \starttext
> \startformula
> 	v = \frac{1.32}{1.41} = 0.935
> \stopformula
> \stoptext
>
> This produces the result attached below. The 1.32 looks fine, but the next two numbers have excess space around the decimal point. Adding the line
>
>    \showmakeup[mathglue] %\mathspacingmode=1
>
> to the preamble reveals that the second and third decimal points are being treated as binary operators. It’s very strang. Are others getting this?
weird indeed

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Spacing problem around decimal point
@ 2023-03-26 11:22 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-03-26 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 3/26/2023 4:20 AM, Gavin via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I’m getting strange spaces around some decimal points after a clean LMTX install. MWE:
>
> \starttext
> \startformula
> 	v = \frac{1.32}{1.41} = 0.935
> \stopformula
> \stoptext
>
> This produces the result attached below. The 1.32 looks fine, but the next two numbers have excess space around the decimal point. Adding the line
>
>    \showmakeup[mathglue] %\mathspacingmode=1
>
> to the preamble reveals that the second and third decimal points are being treated as binary operators. It’s very strang. Are others getting this?
can you pick up a binary from:

https://dl.contextgarden.net/build/luametatex/work/

and test it?

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Spacing problem around decimal point
@ 2023-03-26 15:36   ` Günter Kolousek via ntg-context
From: Günter Kolousek via ntg-context @ 2023-03-26 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can confirm that the x64_64-linux from

  https://dl.contextgarden.net/build/luametatex/work/

version works correctly. So, no excess spaces around the
decimal points at all.

HTH
Günter

Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-03-26 13:22 +02:

@ 2023-03-26 21:16     ` Jim via ntg-context
From: Jim via ntg-context @ 2023-03-26 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

Regrettably, I see the same problem and Gavin.

I am using TeXlive 2023 on Slackware64 15.0, for what that is worth.

                                Jim

@ 2023-03-26 22:15       ` Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context
From: Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context @ 2023-03-26 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I also get the incorrect spacing on a Mac.

system          > ConTeXt  ver: 2023.03.20 17:07 LMTX  fmt: 2023.3.22  int: english/english

> On 26 Mar 2023, at 22:16, Jim via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Regrettably, I see the same problem and Gavin.
>
> I am using TeXlive 2023 on Slackware64 15.0, for what that is worth.
>

>                                Jim
>
> On Sun, Mar 26, 2023 at 17:36 (+0200), Günter Kolousek via ntg-context wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>
>> I can confirm that the x64_64-linux from
>
>> https://dl.contextgarden.net/build/luametatex/work/
>
>> version works correctly. So, no excess spaces around the
>> decimal points at all.
>
>> HTH
>> Günter
>
>> Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-03-26 13:22 +02:

>>> can you pick up a binary from:
>
>>> https://dl.contextgarden.net/build/luametatex/work/
>
>>> and test it?
>
>>> Hans

—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

* Re: Spacing problem around decimal point
@ 2023-03-28 20:56         ` Gavin via ntg-context
From: Gavin via ntg-context @ 2023-03-28 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans, Jim, Bruce, et.al.

Han’s asked me

> can you pick up a binary from:
>
> https://dl.contextgarden.net/build/luametatex/work/
>
> and test it?

Maybe. I picked up the binary, but testing it is not quite as easy as it might be due to the MacOS security settings. I’ll see what I can do, but I know very little about Unix/Darwin.

Since this appears to be an issue across multiple platforms, I’d welcome anyone else checking the new binary. (Thanks, Günter!)

Best,
Gavin

* Re: Spacing problem around decimal point
@ 2023-03-28 22:29           ` Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context
From: Bruce Horrocks via ntg-context @ 2023-03-28 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 28 Mar 2023, at 21:56, Gavin via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi Hans, Jim, Bruce, et.al.
>
> Han’s asked me
>
>> can you pick up a binary from:
>>
>> https://dl.contextgarden.net/build/luametatex/work/
>>
>> and test it?
>
> Maybe. I picked up the binary, but testing it is not quite as easy as it might be due to the MacOS security settings. I’ll see what I can do, but I know very little about Unix/Darwin.
>
> Since this appears to be an issue across multiple platforms, I’d welcome anyone else checking the new binary. (Thanks, Günter!)

The x86_64-darwinlegacy from that download link version has fixed the problem on the Mac. Thank-you all involved.

\starttext
\startformula
	v = \frac{1.32}{1.41} = 0.935
\stopformula
\stoptext

gives the attached.
—
Bruce Horrocks
Hampshire, UK

[-- Attachment #2: tt.pdf --]

* Re: Spacing problem around decimal point
@ 2023-03-29  0:06           ` Jim via ntg-context
From: Jim via ntg-context @ 2023-03-29  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I d/l'ed that binary, replaced the TeXlive version (which is dated March
11, even though I just updated texlive 5 minutes ago) and, lo and behold,
the PDF now looks like it should.

So from my point of view, that particular issue is resolved.

Sorry about your issues with Mac security.  I have this feeling that Apple
is slowly iterating towards a state where they sell you an expensive
computer with a beautiful acrylic and polished stainless steel stand and
ask you just to admire it, but don't touch it.  :-)

                                Jim

@ 2023-03-29 10:50             ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-03-29 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 3/29/2023 2:06 AM, Jim via ntg-context wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I d/l'ed that binary, replaced the TeXlive version (which is dated March
> 11, even though I just updated texlive 5 minutes ago) and, lo and behold,
> the PDF now looks like it should.
>
> So from my point of view, that particular issue is resolved.
>
> Sorry about your issues with Mac security.  I have this feeling that Apple
> is slowly iterating towards a state where they sell you an expensive
> computer with a beautiful acrylic and polished stainless steel stand and
> ask you just to admire it, but don't touch it.  :-)
as they don't update the os after 7 year (so i could only test it on
some ancient intel osx, maybe with less security in place) you end up
with stacking them up to a decent steel pedestral

but, even then, one can always build the binary oneself (installing some
dev tools + cmake worked out ok for me on that insecure 2013 machine)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE