* Malfunctioning of syllabic partitioning of words in Spanish
@ 2022-07-07  4:57 Joaquín Ataz López via ntg-context
From: Joaquín Ataz López via ntg-context @ 2022-07-07  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Joaquín Ataz López

I am writing a document in Spanish and I notice that the syllable
partitioning of words does not conform to the rules of the language. And
so, for example, the word "limitarse" is partitioned as "lim-itarse"
(the correct one is "li-mi-tar-se"), "colores" as "col-ores" (instead of
"co-lo-res"), "abstenerse" as "absten-erse" (and it should be
"abs-te-ner-se"), etc.

These are too many errors; moreover, given that the syllabic
partitioning rules in Spanish are relatively simple. Is it possible that
something has been changed in the Spanish language module?
I do not know Lua and therefore I am not in a position to correct the
corresponding module on my own, but I could synthesize the syllable
partitioning rules for those who can, if they do not speak Spanish and
need help in that field.

--
Joaquín Ataz López
Universidad de Murcia | jal@um.es

* Re: Malfunctioning of syllabic partitioning of words in Spanish
@ 2022-07-07  5:38 ` Max Chernoff via ntg-context
From: Max Chernoff via ntg-context @ 2022-07-07  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Max Chernoff

> I am writing a document in Spanish and I notice that the syllable
> partitioning of words does not conform to the rules of the language. And
> so, for example, the word "limitarse" is partitioned as "lim-itarse"
> (the correct one is "li-mi-tar-se"), "colores" as "col-ores" (instead of
> "co-lo-res"), "abstenerse" as "absten-erse" (and it should be
> "abs-te-ner-se"), etc.

Make sure that you set up the language correctly. Using this test file
(on today's new upload):

     \language[es] % Needed for Spanish hyphenation

     \starttext
         \hsize=0pt % Hack to force hyphenation

         limitarse

         colores

         abstenerse
     \stoptext

I get:

     li­-mi­-tar­-se // co­-lo­-res // abs­-te­-ner­-se

I don't know any Spanish, but using your test words, I think that these
are the expected results.

Using the "pattern" script, I get slightly different results, but it
still seems correct to me:

     $ mtxrun --script pattern --hyphenate --language=es limitarse
     [...]
     mtx-patterns    | es 3 3 : limitarse : limi-tarse

     $ mtxrun --script pattern --hyphenate --language=es colores
     [...]
     mtx-patterns    | es 3 3 : colores : colo-res

     $ mtxrun --script pattern --hyphenate --language=es abstenerse
     [...]
     mtx-patterns    | es 3 3 : abstenerse : abs-te-nerse

If adding "\language[es]" to your document doesn't help, I believe that
there are a few Spanish speakers on the list who will know much more
than I do about setting up the hyphenation.

-- Max