* math font
@ 2020-02-07 14:01 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2020-02-07 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

in my environment file, I have defined a math font:

\definefontfamily [thomas] [math]  [XITS Math]

and as far as I can see in the log file, this font is found:

system          >    9: filename=xits-math.lfg filetype=tex foundname=/Users/lmtx/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/fonts/mkiv/xits-math.lfg fullname=/Users/lmtx/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/fonts/mkiv/xits-math.lfg usedmethod=database

system          >   14: filename=XITSMath-Regular.otf filetype=otf format=otf foundname=/Users/lmtx/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/xits/XITSMath-Regular.otf fullname=/Users/lmtx/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/xits/XITSMath-Regular.otf usedmethod=database

mkiv lua stats  > loaded fonts: 16 files: texgyretermes-bold.otf, texgyretermes-italic.otf, texgyretermes-regular.otf, xitsmath-regular.otf, dejavusansmono.ttf, gentiumalt-i.ttf, gentiumalt-r.ttf, myriadpro-it.otf, myriadpro-regular.otf, kadmosu.otf, monotype  - timesnrmtpro-bold.otf, monotype  - timesnrmtpro-italic.otf, monotype  - timesnrmtpro.otf, timesbold.ttf, timesitalic.ttf, times-roman.ttf

nevertheless, on the terminal and in the log file, I get dozens of lines with this message

fonts           > math: unset for global bodyfont thomas at 11pt

This is with the latest 2020.01.26 19:19. I have a slight suspicion that this behavior is new, but I’m not totally sure. It’s just a small nuisance, but something is wrong here, I would say?

All best

Thomas

* Re: math font
@ 2020-02-07 14:14 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-02-07 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 15:01:42 +0100
"Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> in my environment file, I have defined a math font:
>
> \definefontfamily [thomas] [math]  [XITS Math]
>
> and as far as I can see in the log file, this font is found:
>
> system          >    9: filename=xits-math.lfg filetype=tex foundname=/Users/lmtx/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/fonts/mkiv/xits-math.lfg fullname=/Users/lmtx/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/fonts/mkiv/xits-math.lfg usedmethod=database
>
> system          >   14: filename=XITSMath-Regular.otf filetype=otf format=otf foundname=/Users/lmtx/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/xits/XITSMath-Regular.otf fullname=/Users/lmtx/tex/texmf/fonts/opentype/public/xits/XITSMath-Regular.otf usedmethod=database
>
> mkiv lua stats  > loaded fonts: 16 files: texgyretermes-bold.otf, texgyretermes-italic.otf, texgyretermes-regular.otf, xitsmath-regular.otf, dejavusansmono.ttf, gentiumalt-i.ttf, gentiumalt-r.ttf, myriadpro-it.otf, myriadpro-regular.otf, kadmosu.otf, monotype  - timesnrmtpro-bold.otf, monotype  - timesnrmtpro-italic.otf, monotype  - timesnrmtpro.otf, timesbold.ttf, timesitalic.ttf, times-roman.ttf
>
> nevertheless, on the terminal and in the log file, I get dozens of lines with this message
>
> fonts           > math: unset for global bodyfont thomas at 11pt
>
> This is with the latest 2020.01.26 19:19. I have a slight suspicion that this behavior is new, but I’m not totally sure. It’s just a small nuisance, but something is wrong here, I would say?

Does this also happen when you use \definetypeface to set the math font?

\definetypeface [thomas] [mm] [math] [xits] [default]

Wolfgang

* Re: math font
@ 2020-02-07 14:34   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2020-02-07 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On 7. Feb 2020, at 15:14, Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Does this also happen when you use \definetypeface to set the math font?
>
> \definetypeface [thomas] [mm] [math] [xits] [default]

No, with this change, the warnings are gone. New syntax? Or user error?

Thomas

* Re: math font
@ 2020-02-07 16:41     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2020-02-07 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> On 7. Feb 2020, at 15:14, Wolfgang Schuster <wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Does this also happen when you use \definetypeface to set the math font?
>>
>> \definetypeface [thomas] [mm] [math] [xits] [default]
>
> No, with this change, the warnings are gone. New syntax? Or user error?
I bet on user error.

We always need a math font because the math machinery has to be set up
and context will kick in a fallback font when none has been set but that
is done as last resort when \starttext happens. When this is done
locally you will get the warnings. When you get a real error (abort),
you probably have some content before fonts are set up.

Hans

* Re: math font
@ 2011-12-01 17:30   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2011-12-01 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1-12-2011 17:43, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> That is because \pmatrix uses \halign, where each cell starts a new math
> gruop. This reminds me of an old request to have support for \mhalign
> and \mvalign at the engine level.

just give a functional description and put it in the luatex tracker

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: math font
@ 2011-12-01 16:43 ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2011-12-01 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 1 Dec 2011, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> Instead of the mathfont'a italics I would like to try an upright typeface. See for example the P.p on the left of the sample, 1-p in the second \pmatrix and the toprow in the last one.
>
> How can I do this globally,

I don't think that there is a global interface. You can try

\appendtoks \mathrm \to \everysetupmathematics.

In principle, we can have an interface similar to
\setupmathematics[lcgreek=...,ucgreek=...], but the choice of keys
requires some thought.

> there by avoiding avoiding the need to sprinkle \mathrm's all around as
> in: \pmatrix{\mathrm  p\cr\mathrm 1-p\cr}. A single \mathrm in front as
> not enough for the matrices.

That is because \pmatrix uses \halign, where each cell starts a new math
gruop. This reminds me of an old request to have support for \mhalign and
\mvalign at the engine level.

Aditya

* math font
@ 2011-12-01 13:58 Hans van der Meer