* page ends with a section title followed by a table
@ 2020-11-10  8:55 Sylvain Hubert
From: Sylvain Hubert @ 2020-11-10  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear List,

In the following example, the section title appears at the very end of the
first page.

    \showframe

    \starttext
    \dorecurse{94}{a b c }\\
    \dorecurse{94}{a b c }\\
    \dorecurse{94}{a b c }\\
    \dorecurse{94}{a b c }\\
    \dorecurse{94}{a b c }\\
    \dorecurse{30}{a b c }

    \section{title}
    \startxtable
    \startxrow
    \startxcell[ny=10]a\stopxcell\startxcell 1\stopxcell
    \stopxrow
    \dorecurse{9}{\startxrow\startxcell 2\stopxcell\stopxrow}
    \stopxtable
    \stoptext

Does anyone know where to adjust the penalty in this case, so that the
section title can be repositioned to the next page?

Thanks!

Best,
Sylvain

* Re: page ends with a section title followed by a table
@ 2020-11-10 14:59 ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-11-10 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/10/20 9:55 AM, Sylvain Hubert wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> In the following example, the section title appears at the very end of
> the first page.
> [...]
> Does anyone know where to adjust the penalty in this case, so that the
> section title can be repositioned to the next page?

Hi Sylvain,

  \setuphead[title]
    [before={\blank[preference, big],
     after={\blank[samepage, big]]

In this case, the blank space before sets a preference for inserting a
page break. The blank space after requires to be in the same page with
next paragraph.

Of course, you don’t need both simultaneously.

Just in case it helps,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: page ends with a section title followed by a table
@ 2020-11-10 16:11   ` Sylvain Hubert
From: Sylvain Hubert @ 2020-11-10 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 at 16:00, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> wrote:

> On 11/10/20 9:55 AM, Sylvain Hubert wrote:
> > Dear List,
> >
> > In the following example, the section title appears at the very end of
> > the first page.
> > [...]
> > Does anyone know where to adjust the penalty in this case, so that the
> > section title can be repositioned to the next page?
>
> Hi Sylvain,
>
>   \setuphead[title]
>     [before={\blank[preference, big],
>      after={\blank[samepage, big]]
>
> In this case, the blank space before sets a preference for inserting a
> page break. The blank space after requires to be in the same page with
> next paragraph.
>
> Of course, you don’t need both simultaneously.
>
> Just in case it helps,
>
> Pablo

Hello Pablo,

Thank you very much for the help. The penalty of \blank indeed brings the
solution closer and it does format the previous example correctly.

However, when I went back to the original document, neither
[before={\blank[preference, big]}] nor [after={\blank[samepage, big]}] nor
both worked. I trimmed it into the following example which behaves the same:

    \starttext
    \showframe
    \dorecurse{50}{a }
    \startsection[title=spec][before={\blank[preference,big]},
after={\blank[samepage,big]}]
    \startxtable
    \startxrow
    \startxcell[ny=30]a\stopxcell\startxcell 1\stopxcell
    \stopxrow
    \dorecurse{29}{\startxrow\startxcell 2\stopxcell\stopxrow}
    \stopxtable
    \stoptext

Do you have an idea on how this could also be formatted correctly or how
one could inspect and debug the penalty?

Thanks again!

@ 2020-11-10 16:23     ` Sylvain Hubert
From: Sylvain Hubert @ 2020-11-10 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

My mistake, but the problem survives the fix:

    \setuphead[section][after={\blank[samepage,big]}]
    \starttext
    \showframe
    \dorecurse{50}{a }
    \startsection[title=spec]

@ 2020-11-10 16:36       ` Pablo Rodriguez
From: Pablo Rodriguez @ 2020-11-10 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On 11/10/20 5:23 PM, Sylvain Hubert wrote:
> My mistake, but the problem survives the fix:
>
>     \setuphead[section][after={\blank[samepage,big]}]
>     \starttext
>     \showframe
>     \dorecurse{50}{a }
>     \startsection[title=spec]
>     \startxtable
Hi Sylvain,

no fix is required when you allow the table to be split:

    \startxtable[split=yes]

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk

* Re: page ends with a section title followed by a table
@ 2020-11-10 16:52   ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-11-10 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pablo Rodriguez schrieb am 10.11.2020 um 15:59:
> On 11/10/20 9:55 AM, Sylvain Hubert wrote:
>> Dear List,
>>
>> In the following example, the section title appears at the very end of
>> the first page.
>> [...]
>> Does anyone know where to adjust the penalty in this case, so that the
>> section title can be repositioned to the next page?
> Hi Sylvain,
>
>    \setuphead[title]
>      [before={\blank[preference, big],
>       after={\blank[samepage, big]]
>
> In this case, the blank space before sets a preference for inserting a
> page break. The blank space after requires to be in the same page with
> next paragraph.

Another method is to move the section title to the next page when the
remaining spaces
is below a specified number of lines. The following setup forces a page
break when
less than 4 lines remain on the current page.

\setuphead
   [section]
   [before={\testpage[4]\blank[2*big]}]

Wolfgang

* Re: page ends with a section title followed by a table
@ 2020-11-10 16:57         ` Sylvain Hubert
From: Sylvain Hubert @ 2020-11-10 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 at 17:37, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos@gmx.es> wrote:

> On 11/10/20 5:23 PM, Sylvain Hubert wrote:
> > My mistake, but the problem survives the fix:
> >
> >     \setuphead[section][after={\blank[samepage,big]}]
> >     \starttext
> >     \showframe
> >     \dorecurse{50}{a }
> >     \startsection[title=spec]
> >     \startxtable
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> no fix is required when you allow the table to be split:
>
>     \startxtable[split=yes]
>
> Pablo

Hi Pablo,

Thanks for the suggestion, but unlike the MWE, in the original document,
the table has ten rows and is visually not suitable for a split. The large
row span is meant to represent this restriction.

@ 2020-11-10 17:06     ` Sylvain Hubert
From: Sylvain Hubert @ 2020-11-10 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 at 17:54, Wolfgang Schuster <
wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Pablo Rodriguez schrieb am 10.11.2020 um 15:59:
> > On 11/10/20 9:55 AM, Sylvain Hubert wrote:
> >> Dear List,
> >>
> >> In the following example, the section title appears at the very end of
> >> the first page.
> >> [...]
> >> Does anyone know where to adjust the penalty in this case, so that the
> >> section title can be repositioned to the next page?
> > Hi Sylvain,
> >
> >    \setuphead[title]
> >      [before={\blank[preference, big],
> >       after={\blank[samepage, big]]
> >
> > In this case, the blank space before sets a preference for inserting a
> > page break. The blank space after requires to be in the same page with
> > next paragraph.
>
> Another method is to move the section title to the next page when the
> remaining spaces
> is below a specified number of lines. The following setup forces a page
> break when
> less than 4 lines remain on the current page.
>
> \setuphead
>    [section]
>    [before={\testpage[4]\blank[2*big]}]
>
> Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for the suggestion, but as illustrated by the second example, copied
here, where the section title is at the top of the page:

    \starttext
    \showframe
    \dorecurse{50}{a }
    \startsection[title=spec][before={\blank[preference,big]},
after={\blank[samepage,big]}]
    \startxtable
    \startxrow
    \startxcell[ny=30]a\stopxcell\startxcell 1\stopxcell
    \stopxrow
    \dorecurse{29}{\startxrow\startxcell 2\stopxcell\stopxrow}
    \stopxtable
    \stoptext

it is sometimes difficult to predict how much remaining space should
trigger a line break.

@ 2020-11-10 17:25       ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-11-10 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sylvain Hubert schrieb am 10.11.2020 um 18:06:

> Thanks for the suggestion, but as illustrated by the second example,
> copied here, where the section title is at the top of the page:
>
>      \starttext
>      \showframe
>      \dorecurse{50}{a }
>      \startsection[title=spec][before={\blank[preference,big]},
> after={\blank[samepage,big]}]

Your settings in the second argument of \startsection make no sense
because the optional argument is for userdata (values like author etc.)

>      \startxtable
>      \startxrow
>      \startxcell[ny=30]a\stopxcell\startxcell 1\stopxcell
>      \stopxrow
>      \dorecurse{29}{\startxrow\startxcell 2\stopxcell\stopxrow}
>      \stopxtable
>      \stoptext
>
> it is sometimes difficult to predict how much remaining space should
> trigger a line break.

You can either reformat your table or put the table in a float
environment to move it to a place where it fits.

Wolfgang

* Re: page ends with a section title followed by a table
@ 2020-11-10 18:11         ` Sylvain Hubert
From: Sylvain Hubert @ 2020-11-10 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 at 18:25, Wolfgang Schuster <
wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sylvain Hubert schrieb am 10.11.2020 um 18:06:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestion, but as illustrated by the second example,
> > copied here, where the section title is at the top of the page:
> >
> >      \starttext
> >      \showframe
> >      \dorecurse{50}{a }
> >      \startsection[title=spec][before={\blank[preference,big]},
> > after={\blank[samepage,big]}]
>
> Your settings in the second argument of \startsection make no sense
> because the optional argument is for userdata (values like author etc.)
>
> >      \startxtable
> >      \startxrow
> >      \startxcell[ny=30]a\stopxcell\startxcell 1\stopxcell
> >      \stopxrow
> >      \dorecurse{29}{\startxrow\startxcell 2\stopxcell\stopxrow}
> >      \stopxtable
> >      \stoptext
> >
> > it is sometimes difficult to predict how much remaining space should
> > trigger a line break.
>
> You can either reformat your table or put the table in a float
> environment to move it to a place where it fits.
>
> Wolfgang

Weirdly enough, "\hskip 0pt" solves the problem.

    \setuphead[section][after={\blank[samepage]\hskip 0pt}]

@ 2020-11-10 18:23           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2020-11-10 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sylvain Hubert schrieb am 10.11.2020 um 19:11:

> Weirdly enough, "\hskip 0pt" solves the problem.
>
>      \setuphead[section][after={\blank[samepage]\hskip 0pt}]
>      \starttext
>      \showframe
>      \dorecurse{50}{a }
>      \startsection[title=spec]
>      \startxtable

What happens when you \hskip is that you switch to horizontal
mode and the preferred to do this is to use \dontleavehmode.

\dontleavehmode
\startxtable

Wolfgang

* Re: page ends with a section title followed by a table
@ 2020-11-10 18:41             ` Sylvain Hubert
From: Sylvain Hubert @ 2020-11-10 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 Nov 2020 at 19:23, Wolfgang Schuster <
wolfgang.schuster.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sylvain Hubert schrieb am 10.11.2020 um 19:11:
>
> > Weirdly enough, "\hskip 0pt" solves the problem.
> >
> >      \setuphead[section][after={\blank[samepage]\hskip 0pt}]
> >      \starttext
> >      \showframe
> >      \dorecurse{50}{a }
> >      \startsection[title=spec]
> >      \startxtable
>

> What happens when you \hskip is that you switch to horizontal
> mode and the preferred to do this is to use \dontleavehmode.
>
> \dontleavehmode
> \startxtable
>
> Wolfgang

Indeed. Thanks for the information!

For the record, this is how the problem is finally solved:

    \setuphead[section][after={\blank[sampage]}]
    \begingroup\setupindenting[no]\dontleavehmode\startxtable …
\stopxtable\endgroup

@ 2020-11-10 20:55               ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2020-11-10 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)