From: Carlos via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Cc: Carlos <linguafalsa@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [NTG-context] knuth
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2023 12:07:26 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jun 05, 2023 at 04:50:53PM +0200, luigi scarso via ntg-context wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jun 2023 at 15:18, Alan Braslau via ntg-context <
> ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> > > I've been using it for ConTeXt, and to be honest, it works amazingly
> > > well. It hallucinates sometimes, but it's such a time saver.
> >
> > Maybe someone should try asking it to write documentation/manuals?
> >
> > As a teacher, we are accustomed to seeing Google/Wikipedia/etc.
> > cut-and-paste nonsense; now, this nonsense appears more polished, and
> > our students are none the wiser. Saves them time, too! ;-)
> >
> > Who said: "the best way to economize thought is not to think at all"?
> >

> not all is bad: sometimes a textual description can replace a formalized
> notation, e.g.
> https://fosstodon.org/@tao@mathstodon.xyz/110250604086213386
> I can imagine similar examples with tables.
> Of course a very high level text is often ambiguous (as some kind of
> formalized grammars, after all)
> but  the example shows that in these cases  it is better to fix something
> already almost ok than  to typeset it from scratch.
>
> --
> luigi

Not all is bad, no, except the company behind chatgpt  ought to pay its
users for feeding more data into it. It's a westernized company after
all. Lots of baggage. I'm surprised it hasn't applied for a patent yet
really.

You know you've been spending too much time on the computer when your
friend misdates a check, and you suggest adding a "++" to fix it.