* How to make Pandoc parse headings not preceded by empty lines?
@ 2023-11-23 17:32 'Andrew Pashkin' via pandoc-discuss
       [not found] ` <ee3c5844-ba4f-41d4-a68b-acc237996a03-puGfsi27rH1aa/9Udqfwiw@public.gmane.org>
From: 'Andrew Pashkin' via pandoc-discuss @ 2023-11-23 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

Let's take such a Markdown file

    Text
    text
    some text
    ## Heading

    Blah blah

Github will be able to parse properly, for example:

But let's try Pandoc:

    $ pandoc -s test.md -f markdown -t markdown
    Text text some text \## Heading

    Blah blah

Notice the escaped first "#" symbol in the heading.

I wonder if there is a way to avoid it?

--
With kind regards, Andrew Pashkin.
cell phone - +48 (503) 186 952

[-- Attachment #2.2: LMHTDg0Iwae90au1.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 38111 bytes --]

* Re: How to make Pandoc parse headings not preceded by empty lines?
       [not found] ` <ee3c5844-ba4f-41d4-a68b-acc237996a03-puGfsi27rH1aa/9Udqfwiw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2023-11-24 13:48   ` Bastien DUMONT
From: Bastien DUMONT @ 2023-11-24 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Andrew Pashkin' via pandoc-discuss

Github Markdown and Pandoc Markdown have different syntaxes. If you want to use the former, do:

pandoc -s test.md -f gfm

@ 2023-11-24 13:54   ` John MacFarlane
From: John MacFarlane @ 2023-11-24 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pandoc-discuss-/JYPxA39Uh5TLH3MbocFFw

If you're targeting gfm, then use `-f gfm` instead of `-f markdown`. There are some slight differences in syntax. Pandoc markdown requires a blank line before a heading, to avoid unwanted capture of ordinary # characters.