* recent -s patch
@ 1992-06-26  4:11 Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 1992-06-26  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

I don't think -s should imply -i, as the patch does.  If I want both
I can type both.

Is -s going to be standard, or will most people decline to apply the
patch?

* Re: recent -s patch
@ 1992-06-29  1:36 Bob Gibson
From: Bob Gibson @ 1992-06-29  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

| Hey, can anyone on the list tell us
| all if they have any reason at all for wanting -s?  Inquiring minds
| want to know.  So far, we have Rich's reason, which is that -s is
| passed to the invoked shell by `the OSF/1 script command'.  Any
| other takers?

My editor, jove, starts up subshells with the -s option, and obviously
fails to do so if the shell doesn't support it.  In this case, the
correct thing to do would be to fix jove to make this configurable.
But if others have a need to add -s to rc, it would save me a bit of
work.  I realize this is a pretty lame reason for adding a new feature
so I won't try to defend it.  Then again, you now have two applications
which rely on the shell supporting -s.  I wonder how many more exist.