* List of known gotchas and patches
@ 1993-09-22 17:41 Tom Culliton x2278
From: Tom Culliton x2278 @ 1993-09-22 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

Here is my best attempt at an "authoritative" list of known problems and
patches for rc-1.4 drawn from the mailing list and private mail.  There
have been several requests for this information in the past but up until
now the only answer has been to wade through the list archives.  I've
tried to filter out bogus patches, mistaken bug reports, wish list
items, and so on.  If anyone spots any errors or omissions in this list
please let me know.

(My "Pile-O-Patches" offering includes all the one listed below except
for the ones with disclaimers.)

Tom

KNOWN PORTING PROBLEMS

- Some versions of yacc (Sun) use malloc in a way that can cause a
  memory leak.

- Some machines (SCO, HPUX) have a signal.h which the mksignal script
  can't parse properly.

- Some machines (HP, Apollo?) have a problem with the use of varargs.h

- Old versions of GCC (pre 1.39) generated bad code in a couple of
  places for some machines (80386, 80486).

KNOWN LIMITATIONS

- The rc globber will not pass through an unreadable directory the way
  that sh will.

- Setting a umask higher than 0777 doesn't work. (Is this really a
  problem?)

- When a signal handler is invoked it can change the value of $status
  asynchronously, causing a test or status report to get bogus results.

KNOWN "GOOD" PATCHES

- Patch to input.c June 3, '92 by Tom Culliton fixes readline support.

- Patch to main.c June 16, '92 by Rich Salz and Boyd Roberts adds -s
  command line switch.  NOTE - This patch has since been modified so
  that -s does not imply -i.

- Patch to footobar.c October 12, '92 by Donn Cave fixes problem with
  assigning an empty string to a variable.

- Patch to glob.c and lex.c November 10, '92 by Brendan Kehoe adds ~ as
  an alias for $home.  DISCLAIMER - I haven't tried this patch
  personally but no one has complained about it publicly.  Reposted
  January 18, '93.

- Patch to print.c January 13, '93 by Scott Merrilees is a work around
  for the HP problem with vararg.  DISCLAIMER - I haven't tried this
  patch personally but no one has complained about it publicly.  This
  patch is only for HPUX.

- Patch to lex.c and input.c May 13, '93 by Tom Culliton fixes an
  obscure problem with readline support and prompts.

- Patch to trip.rc May 13, '93 by Tom Culliton fixes a typo which
  reversed !~ to ~!.  WARNING - This patch may not work!  There are long
  lines and non-printable characters in trip.rc that can screw up the
  patch program.

- Patch to input.c August 18, '93 by Stefan Dalibor fixes a memory
  leak and an uninitialized memory access detected by Purify.

- Patch to nalloc.c September 20, '93 by Tom Culliton is a work around
  for the broken realloc in SCO ODT 1.1.  Rich Salz suggested a more
  stylish version of the same patch September 21, '93.

- Patch to addon.[ch], addon/read.c and addon/trip.read September 21,
  '93 by Tom Culliton and Alan Watson adds builtin read.

* Re: List of known gotchas and patches
@ 1993-09-22 23:59 ` CJS Vance
From: CJS Vance @ 1993-09-22 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

In message <9309221341.aa26638@ceres.srg.af.mil> culliton@srg.af.mil (Tom Culliton x2278) writes:
| KNOWN PORTING PROBLEMS

| - Some machines (HP, Apollo?) have a problem with the use of varargs.h

I seem to remember not too much problem with the Apollos, but the
Pyramid did have problems with no stdarg.h and needing varargs.h
instead.  I haven't submitted patches to anyone, but if they're
wanted, I can mail them.

Changes were required to a number of files to get the same source
compiled on Pyramid, Sun, Apollo, Convex.  Picky or not-quite-ANSI
compilers were a pain, but I eventually had them all happy.

-- Christopher

* Re: List of known gotchas and patches
@ 1993-09-24 15:05 ` John Mackin
From: John Mackin @ 1993-09-24 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Culliton x2278, rc

There's one known _bug_ with rc-1.4, and that's in its signal
handling.  Byron and I have tossed this back and forth several
times; as far as I know, he hasn't fixed it, and I know I haven't.
(Note that this bug was NOT present in pre-release versions of
1.4; it was in 1.3, I reported it to Byron and he fixed it, and
then he broke it again in the 1.4 release version.)

The bug is that rc doesn't wait correctly for backquoted commands
to complete on signals, so that if you have a backquoted command
running which traps interrupts and you type your interrupt
character, you end up with a mess.

OK,
John.