From: Byron Rakitzis <byron@rakitzis.com>
To: matt@proweb.co.uk
Cc: rc@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Re: $^t
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 21:43:55 -0500

> thanks ppl
>
> my fault for not getting far enough down the man page to see the
> INCOMPATIBILITES section. I didn't even envisage that there would be
> any.
>
> Kudos to Byron for the project at all but I would've thought that the
> project goal was NO incompatibilites.

Well, it started out that way but in 1990 plan 9 was a closed system
and I didn't see any problem with fixing some of the glaring flaws
(I think "if not" falls in that category. However, on the subject of
"if not", at this point if anyone could hack it into the grammar and
still make the current behavior of "else" work I think that would be
a good thing).

Furthermore Unix != Plan 9 so I had to take the initiative on some
matters to make the shell work properly under Unix.

That being said now that Plan 9 is more open perhaps the more
superficial incompatabilities should be normalized, if possible.

Byron.