From: Gert-Jan Vons <vons@ocegr.fr>
To: David Luyer <david_luyer@pacific.net.au>
Cc: rc@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Re: building rc on QNX4
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 08:26:30 -0400	[thread overview]

David Luyer <david_luyer@pacific.net.au> wrote:

>Basically some OS's (Digital Unix for one I think) have C libraries
>which choke horribly if the size of the command line + environment array
>is greater than a certain value, and if you have a number of complex
>functions in your shell this value (64k?) can be a pain.

For me "whatis |wc -c" returns 3308 bytes. However, I use a lot of lazy
function loading, as has been talked about before on this list.

In my .rcrc, I have:

># Lazy function (un)loading.
>#
>fnlib = $home/bin/rcfuncs
>fn _ld { ~ $#* 1 && builtin . $fnlib/$1 }
>fn _unld { ~ $#* 1 && fn $1 { _ld $0 && $0 $* }}
>
># init all lazy functions by scanning the $fnlib directory
>name = () for ( name in `{builtin cd $fnlib ; ls} ) _unld $name

where my $home/bin/rcfuncs directory contains a number of files with rc
function definitions (note that the file name must match the name of the
function defined in it)

So until I actually use my rc functions, for a lot of them there's only
"fn somefunc {_ld $0&&$0 $*}" in my environment, which gets expanded to
the real function the first time I call somefunc.

And instead of re-reading my .rcrc file after every change to some
function, I just do an "_unld newfunc", and the next time I call
"newfunc", it is automatically reloaded from file.

If your functions are really big, you could even unload them
automatically after use. But in that case, turning those functions into
rc shell scripts is probably simpler...

         Gert-Jan
-----
"I have every sympathy with the American who was so horrified
  by what he had read about the effects of smoking that he gave
  up reading."
     - Henry G. Strauss