* BUG: exec permission denied
@ 1991-07-02 21:41 Mark-Jason Dominus
From: Mark-Jason Dominus @ 1991-07-02 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc; +Cc: mjd

It seems that if I try to execute a command `foo' for which I don't have
execute permission, rc gives me `foo not found', which is justifiable if
rc had to do a path search to find `foo', but not justifiable if `foo'
specified a path.  That is:

	; echo $path
	/usr/etc
	; ls -l /usr/etc/shutdown
	-rws------  1 root        24576 Mar  6  1990 /usr/etc/shutdown
	; shutdown
	shutdown not found

makes sense (although you could argue against it), but

	; /usr/etc/shutdown
	/usr/etc/shutdown not found

is incorrect.

  The night is pleasing to us because, like memory, it erases idle details.
Mark-Jason Dominus 	  			    mjd@central.cis.upenn.edu

* Re: BUG: exec permission denied
@ 1991-07-02 22:25 ` Mark-Jason Dominus
From: Mark-Jason Dominus @ 1991-07-02 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

My original note was unclear. The behavior I was complaining about was
not the failure to exec, but rather the error messgae.

I claim it should be `permission denied' instead of `... not found'.

Byron agrees with me on this.

* Re: BUG: exec permission denied
@ 1991-07-03  9:37 ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 1991-07-03  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark-Jason Dominus, rc

it should say what errno is after the exec returns.

* Re: BUG: exec permission denied
@ 1991-07-02 22:33 Byron Rakitzis
From: Byron Rakitzis @ 1991-07-02 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mjd, rc

>	My original note was unclear. The behavior I was complaining about was
>	not the failure to exec, but rather the error messgae.
>
>	I claim it should be `permission denied' instead of `... not found'.
>
>	Byron agrees with me on this.

Lest it seem that I agree with something that I don't necessarily agree with,
please let me clarify my viewpoint:

Right now rc prints one, and only one, error message when it cannot find/exec
something: "foo not found". To say that it should print a message that is a
little clearer is nice, but before I go ahead and implement something like
that, I would first want to know how easy it is to do this portably.