* I hate /bin/sh
@ 1991-08-06 18:13 Matthew Farwell
From: Matthew Farwell @ 1991-08-06 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

Don't you just love these little quirks in /bin/sh?

from sh(1):
	SHELL
		When the shell is invoked, it scans the environment for
		this name. If it is found and there is a an 'r' in the
		name, the shell is a restricted one.

This produces effects such as
; mush -C
sh: /dev/null is restricted
pwd: restricted

(mush does a getcwd())

The fix?

; ln /bin/rc /bin/kludge
; SHELL=/bin/kludge

Apologies, but I had to rant at someone.

Dylan.

--
Matthew J Farwell: dylan@ibmpcug.co.uk || ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!dylan
'Would you kindly send up the Hall Porter, there appears to be a frog

only message in thread, other threads:[~1991-08-07  0:40 UTC | newest]