* root prompt (was: early reaction(s) to rc)
@ 1991-08-23 18:59 haahr
From: haahr @ 1991-08-23 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnold Robbins writes:
> Byron has told me in private mail he doesn't think the shell should
> automatically change prompts for root.  I disagree, but not terribly
> strongly.  My own suggestion for a root prompt would be ';; '.

a simple work-around, which does not require hard-coding anything in the
shell is
	fn su { prompt=('!; ' '') /bin/su $* }

for logging in as root, just set the prompt in .rcrc.

note that i use !; as my root prompt.  (! is almost a no-op: status gets set
wrong, but that's a minor inconvenience.)

paul haahr		adobe systems incorporated
haahr@adobe.com		...!decwrl!adobe!haahr		+1 415 962 6056

only message in thread, other threads:[~1991-08-24  6:02 UTC | newest]