* exporting everything
@ 1991-09-27 21:07 Donn Cave
From: Donn Cave @ 1991-09-27 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

For me, the attraction of a "local" feature that would prevent exports
comes from a basic attitude about programming:  a programmer should be
able to restrict the scope of variables.  Reasons for wanting to do that,
in practice, might include
    -	naming conflicts, where the parent creates a variable
	that has an unanticipated meaning to some child.
    -	process startup overhead, where large and/or numerous
	variables are not of interest to the child.
    -	architecture-specific environment limits.

The default export seems to be a good thing, but if it's not difficult to
create a non-exported variable, that would also be a good thing in my
opinion.

	donn@cac.washington.edu

only message in thread, other threads:[~1991-09-27 21:09 UTC | newest]