* Re: variables in ~ patternlists?
@ 1991-10-18 20:27 Rich Salz
From: Rich Salz @ 1991-10-18 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: byron, rc; +Cc: cks

Yes, the rule is simple and good.  Thanks for explaining it in fewer
words so I can more easily remember it. :-)

* Re: variables in ~ patternlists?
@ 1991-10-18 20:18 Byron Rakitzis
From: Byron Rakitzis @ 1991-10-18 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc, rsalz

This is not how patterns work in rc; The only way to get
* to match any characters is for it to appear LITERALLY
and UNQUOTED. Therefore, only

	~ foo.c *

will match, not

	bar='*.c'
	~ foo.c $bar

The only way to get around this is with an explicit eval
statement:

	eval ~ $1 $foo

will present $foo to rc as if it had been rescanned (which
it is, actually).

I find these quoting rules to be quite simple, actually. Duff
explains them quite well in the paper bundled with rc-1.2.

* variables in ~ patternlists?
@ 1991-10-18 20:05 Rich Salz
From: Rich Salz @ 1991-10-18 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

    ; z=('*.c' foo bar)
    ; echo patterns is $z
    echo patterns is $z
    ; fn skip { ~ $1 $z && echo yes }
    ; skip foo
    yes
    ; skip innd.c
    ;

I would expect a second "yes" reply.  My mistake or rc's?
,