* echoing '='
@ 1991-10-28 16:43 Arnold D. Robbins
From: Arnold D. Robbins @ 1991-10-28 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

Should rc give me a syntax error when I ask it to

	echo ================= >> somefile

Arnold

* echoing '='
@ 1991-10-28 20:40 d7stfax
From: d7stfax @ 1991-10-28 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnold D. Robins writes:
>Should rc give me a syntax error when I ask it to
>
>        echo ================= >> somefile
>
>Arnold

I'm sorry to say but I don't understand what point you are trying to
make. When I read the grammar in the man page I get the impression
that this is indeed the called for response, e.g. It's not a bug. In
rc I can say something like:

; echo = apa
; echo $echo
apa
;

to assign the string "apa" to the variable echo. Thus saying:

confuses rc's parser since it can't, and IMHO shouldn't, make any
sense in multiple assignment operators one after the other.

I can see that someone might have opinions on how these things are
carried out however; so please state what exactly what it is in the
above that you feel awkward about; the semantics, syntax, e.t.c.

Regards,
--
Stefan Axelsson,			Chalmers University of Technology,
d7stfax@dtek.chalmers.se		Sweden