* Line editing -- try ile
@ 1991-12-16 21:38 Rich Salz
From: Rich Salz @ 1991-12-16 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

Just wanted to recommend that folks check out the ILE program that just
came out in comp.sources.unix.  It runs a given program in a subshell
under a pty and provides a line-editing frontend.  Size is about half
of rc's.

It's pretty good.

* Re: Line editing -- try ile
@ 1991-12-16 22:57 ` Chris Siebenmann
From: Chris Siebenmann @ 1991-12-16 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

 I've also used atty to do this sort of front-ending, and it works
fine. It even manages to do filename completion most of the time
(it won't work if you're in the middle of a multiline thing).

	- cks

* Re: Line editing -- try ile
@ 1991-12-17  8:04   ` Robert van Liere
From: Robert van Liere @ 1991-12-17  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

I might be missing the point here, but what is wrong with
libreadline.a ?

-- Robert van Liere

* Re: Line editing -- try ile
@ 1991-12-17  8:23 Paul D. Swasey
From: Paul D. Swasey @ 1991-12-17  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

Well, readline has to be included in each program... which means adding
it to existing software is a pain.  readline makes binaries larger
(here, at least).

ile, on the other hand, is run once in each tty and it gives line
editing to any program that eventually does read() (I like that
interface much more.  I get to do read() in my programs.  If someone
wants more line editing then the kernel provides, they can "fix" their
terminal...  I don't have to "fix" my program.)

-dave

but ile doesn't have vi bindings :(
but neither of them (although readline can), does completion on things
like $h/src/rc_scr[TAB]...