* Useful rc idiom
@ 1992-02-26 19:47 Tom Culliton x2278
From: Tom Culliton x2278 @ 1992-02-26 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

Please excuse me if I'm being redundant, I don't remember where I first
saw this or discovered it, but it seems like something that should
written in large letters.  When writing functions in rc a useful idiom
for local variables (what C calls auto) is something like this...

  fn func_name { xyz=() abc=$1 here=`{pwd} {
    # Body of the the function which can be called recursively with each
    # level getting it's own copy of the variables files, dirs and here.
    # The arguments of course are still in $1 $2 ....
  }}

This rc stuff sure is nice, isn't it. ;-)

Tom

BTW - if you don't do this and reuse variables inside a recursive
function it can be very hard to track down whats going on. ;-)

only message in thread, other threads:[~1992-02-27  1:32 UTC | newest]