* Re:  Revised readline package available
@ 1992-10-27 15:38 rsalz
From: rsalz @ 1992-10-27 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dmason, rc; +Cc: rsalz

ILE can do what you want.  It spawns a specified program on a pty and sits
between you and it.  The only hack is that you have to tell it when you
chdir, which you can easily do by a function that sends an escape sequence.

* Revised readline package available
@ 1992-10-27 15:32 ` Dave Mason
From: Dave Mason @ 1992-10-27 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc; +Cc: rsalz

> Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1992 08:34:47 -0500
> From: rsalz@osf.org
>
> 	 The revised readline is now on the ftp site.
> err, I forgot.  hawkwind?  "cant set guest permissions"

	ftp.white.toronto.edu

I don't suppose anyone has written the history/command-editing/completion
program that I really want.  I don't want readline in my rc (or es),
but I do want easy filename completion.

So what I plan to do is set eol (an altenate terminater in cooked
mode) to TAB and eol2 (another alternate) to ESC, then make rc call my
history program if it gets a line that doesn't end in \n (after
writing what it got to $history).  Then my history program will read
$history and see what the trailing character is.  If it's not a
printable character it will push it back and call readline (or
possibly make Input point at the whole line - I haven't written it
yet).  Then readline will do completion or history or whatever until
it has a \n and then hand the line back to rc (i.e. print it on
stdout) to do with what it will (which will treat it as if it had just
been returned from read.  Note that with this description, you can
also type:
	foo^D
and you will be handed to the history/completion program, in addition
to:
	foo^I
or
	foo<LEFT-ARROW>
or
	<UP-ARROW>

This looks pretty straightforward, but I'm very busy this week, so I
probably won't do it until next week.  (If anybody else likes the idea
& does it beforehand, great!)  I'm open to comments or better ideas.

	../Dave

(BTW, I wish the small readline didn't have an 80 character limit.)

* Revised readline package available
@ 1992-10-27 13:34 rsalz
From: rsalz @ 1992-10-27 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc