* Re: strangeness with big variables under ultrix 4.1
@ 1992-02-26 21:56 "D. Hugh Redelmeier"
From: "D. Hugh Redelmeier" @ 1992-02-26 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cks, rc

|  'Arg list too long' is actually 'Arg list or environment too long',
| because most Unixes have a limit on the total argument list + environment
| size that execve() will handle.

Well, here is a practical reason to not have every rc variable
exported.  I have argued this on aesthetic grounds before.

Hugh Redelmeier
{utcsri, uunet!attcan, utzoo, scocan}!redvax!hugh
When all else fails: hugh@csri.toronto.edu
+1 416 482-8253

* Re: strangeness with big variables under ultrix 4.1
@ 1992-02-26 22:33 ` Chris Siebenmann
From: Chris Siebenmann @ 1992-02-26 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

 It would be nice to have some sort of 'local' declaration for variables,
such that they aren't handed to exec()ed programs, but I don't think it
should ever be the default. Almost all of my variables are ones I want
to export.

	- cks

* Re: strangeness with big variables under ultrix 4.1
@ 1992-02-27  1:07 ` Matthew Farwell
From: Matthew Farwell @ 1992-02-27  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

In article <9202261951.AA15500@litchi.bbn.com> you write:
>Rc puts everything in the environment and most systems have a limit
>on the size of the environment...

Maybe someone should write an xargs-like program for the environment,
:-)

Dylan.

--
If you can waggle it and he can feel it, you have a signalling system.

* Re: strangeness with big variables under ultrix 4.1
@ 1992-02-26 21:08 ` Chris Siebenmann
From: Chris Siebenmann @ 1992-02-26 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

 'Arg list too long' is actually 'Arg list or environment too long',
because most Unixes have a limit on the total argument list + environment
size that execve() will handle. Ultrix just has a somewhat lower limit
than other systems (I think SunOS has really cranked it up, for example).

	- cks

* Re:  strangeness with big variables under ultrix 4.1
@ 1992-02-26 19:51 Rich Salz
From: Rich Salz @ 1992-02-26 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: malte, rc

@ 1992-02-26 19:38 malte
From: malte @ 1992-02-26 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

I have just dicovered a strangeness running rc1.3b on a decstation
ultrix 4.1:

	allman = `{ man -nrsp '.*' }
This assigns allman the names of all manpages available, in short, a very
large value (>250KB).
After doing so, any external command issued, with or without arguments,
gives the error message
	'<prgname>: Arg list too long'
so I can't find out what happens.

Is this a bug in rc or ultrix ?

Malte.

malte@techfak.uni-bielefeld.de

send mail reply to:	Universitaet Bielefeld, Technische Fakultaet
		z. Hd. Malte Uhl
		Postfach 8640
		4800 Bielefeld 1