* editline
@ 1992-02-08 22:49 Matthew Farwell
From: Matthew Farwell @ 1992-02-08 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

What would be nice would if editline were to merge matching commands, to
save space etc, like

; ls
; foobar
; foobar
; plop
; plop
; plop
; ls

The history would consist of

ls
foobar
plop
ls

I haven't looked at the code just yet, so I don't know how hard this
would be to arrange (whats a strcmp between friends?).  It might be a
good idea for normal rc as well.

Dylan.

* Re: editline
@ 1992-02-09  3:34 ` Chris Siebenmann
From: Chris Siebenmann @ 1992-02-09  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

 I once put 'merge command sequences' into a history recall (in fact,
wrote it in in the first place). After a month or so of use, I ripped
it out and was much happier. My experience was that it causes a
'dissonance'; what you remember typing is not what you will get with
command recall, and this fouls up one's reflexes. I would heavily
recommend against adding this feature.

	- cks

* editline
@ 1992-02-08 16:08 malte
From: malte @ 1992-02-08 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

I have just changed my terminal and noticed that editline cannot be used
together with screen ( a program which multiplexes many logical terminals
on a physical one).  The cursor keys don't work anymore.
Just to give it a mention ..

Malte.