* Re: rc 1.5
@ 1993-04-17 16:47 Alan Watson
From: Alan Watson @ 1993-04-17 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David J. Fiander; +Cc: rc

[Re flags:]
> It's also there so scripts can change flags.  I would like to
> be able to write scripts that turn on the -x flag internally,
> when their debug flag is specified on the command line.

I would also find this useful, especially for debugging functions.

> Actually, /bin/sh, /bin/ksh, and the POSIX.2 shell all check
> the current directory for a file named "test", and _then_
> search the path for a file named "test" which is also
> executable.

None of the Bourne derivatives (sh, sh5, ksh, and bash) behave that way
on this machine (Decstation running Ultrix 4.3); the only ones which
get it `right' are the csh derivatives (csh and tcsh).

> The reason I would like "." to search the path is that then I
> can create the directory /usr/bin/rclib, and store
> scripts in there.  Then my scripts can just say
>
>	 . rclib/read
>
> to load the read function that I have stored there.

Try:
	rclib = /usr/bin/rclib
	. $rclib/read

* Re: rc 1.5
@ 1993-04-17 16:56 Paul Haahr
From: Paul Haahr @ 1993-04-17 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alan; +Cc: rc

> > The reason I would like "." to search the path is that then I
> > can create the directory /usr/bin/rclib, and store
> > scripts in there.  Then my scripts can just say
> >	. rclib/read
> > to load the read function that I have stored there.

> Try:
> 	rclib = /usr/bin/rclib
> 	. $rclib/read

other alternatives:

	fn load {
		for (i in $*) . /usr/bin/rclib/^$i
	}
	load read

	es and autoloading of shell functions :-)

paul

* Re: rc 1.5
@ 1993-04-16 22:21 Byron Rakitzis
From: Byron Rakitzis @ 1993-04-16 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: davidf; +Cc: rc

>Will 1.5 be brought into line with the Plan 9 man page?

That's a good question. I'm hoping to freeze rc. I also don't feel
the need to bring rc "into line" with anything else. So offhand I
would say no. The flag command is present in plan9 rc for a very
specific reason (/lib/rcmain). And I don't want dot to search
my path. What if I do:

	; cat >test <<EOF
	garbage
	EOF
	; . test

and "." is at the end of my path? Does this mean I run /bin/test
as rc input? (THIS IS WHAT /bin/sh ACTUALLY DOES!!)

No thank you.

* Re:  Memory leaking
@ 1993-04-16 19:14 Byron Rakitzis
From: Byron Rakitzis @ 1993-04-16 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: broman, rc

I don't know if editline leaks memory, but bare-1.4 has been
tested with purify and doesn't show any significant leaks.
The insignificant ones will be fixed in 1.5.

Note that regardless of leaks rc uses more memory than sh.