* Raising the flag
@ 1993-12-08  1:45 Tom Culliton x2278
From: Tom Culliton x2278 @ 1993-12-08  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

Things here on the mailing list have been quiet for far too long.  It
seems like time to stir them up a bit before the holidays.  So since
I've never been one to leave well enough alone, I'll take Byron Claus at
his word about 1.5: ;-) ;-) ;-)

> From: Byron Rakitzis <byron@netapp.com>
> Date:   Sun, 19 Sep 1993 16:48:19 -0400
>
> ... once the smoke clears I will possibly have some time to
> concentrate on rc. Bug me in a few weeks again..

So how are things going?  Still busier than a one legged man in a butt
kicking contest?  Any chance for 1.5 in the new year?  Anything we can
do to help?

Of course 1.4 continues to perform flawlessly and unobtrusively, day in
and day out, quietly making short work of the ugliest shell problems.
For other "Doctor Who" fans, it reminds me of the laser probe that could
"remove the atoms from a molecule one by one, or punch a fist size hole
through six inch armor plate".  (I'm sure someone will be able to
correct me and even name the episode the quote is from.)

Tom

ObRC - When you wrap a builtin like cd with a function, be sure that you
remember to propagate the result.  I gave myself a nasty fright when:

    if (cd $invalid_directory) { ... }

thought that the cd had succeeded, because my cd function didn't save
$status before updating $prompt and return the saved value.  Luckily,
testing the script caught this.  Caveat Utor!

* Re:  Raising the flag
@ 1993-12-08  6:12 Byron Rakitzis
From: Byron Rakitzis @ 1993-12-08  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: culliton, rc

Hello again. Code freeze for NAC v1.1 ("FASware") is tomorrow, so I
anticipate some gear changing in the next day or two. Thanks for
reminding me; I haven't forgotten, I just need to schedule some time
where I can fault all of rc back into my head and work on fixing all
the nitty gritty problems.

Part of my reluctance to work on rc-1.5 stems from precisely what Tom
mentions: the fact that 1.4 is working so well. The old "if it ain't
broke" principle.

To this end I have also felt compelled to release something completely
polished, and this has acted as an inhibitor on my actions.

However, I do realize that there some valuable fixes which need to get
out there, and I will do my best at getting them out soon. If that
doesn't happen then I will try to be more realistic about what I can
actually accomplish with my time --- i.e., maybe I will try to solicit
someone's help as Tom suggested.

I thought I'd raise this since I would like to have a reasonable beta
period for any changes, given that there is no way that I as an
individual can test rc in the way that it will surely be stressed when
released to hundreds of users on n different OSes.

Byron.