* Redirection and builtin commands
@ 1994-04-11 17:47 Tom Culliton x2278
From: Tom Culliton x2278 @ 1994-04-11 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rc

This has come up in the past, but I just encountered it again and
figured it might be worth nudging Byron about.  Someone mentioned that
es has code to redirect the i/o for builtin commnads without spawning a
subshell.  It might be nice to transplant that capability back into rc.

What inspires this was seeing the comp.unix.shell FAQ, "how do you
change the parents environment from a child process", rehashed yet
again.  It occured to me that, ". <{gen-settings}" would be a very
clever rc solution, if only the redirection didn't force it into a
subshell.

Just a thought...

Tom

BTW - Anything new on that signal handler problem in 1.5beta1 that we
talked about back in March?

only message in thread, other threads:[~1994-04-11 18:05 UTC | newest]