sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* (no subject)
@ 1993-07-02  2:43 John Mackin
From: John Mackin @ 1993-07-02  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

+                       }else if(nwhich && nwhich!=which){
+                               current(nwhich);

And may the Lord have mercy upon your soul.

If you have one.

* (no subject)
@ 1993-07-02  3:53 ` Ozan S. Yigit
From: Ozan S. Yigit @ 1993-07-02  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Mackin; +Cc: sam-fans

> And may the Lord have mercy upon your soul.

just because he eliminated click-to-type? But look what Rob
later wrote[1]:

	"Several interrelated rules were followed in the design of
	the interface. These rules are intented to make the system as
	efficient and comfortable as possible for its _users_. First,
	_brevity_: there should be no actions in the interface - button
	clicks or other gestures - that do not directly affect the
	system. Thus, help is not a `click-to-type' system because that
	click is wasted; there are no pop-up menus because the gesture
	required to make them appear is wasted; and so on."

so, sam is halfclick there. ;-)

oz
---
[1] R. Pike
    A Minimalist Global User Interface
    Proceedings of the Summer 1991 Usenix Conference
    Nashwille, Tenn.

* (no subject)
@ 1993-07-02  4:01   ` David Hogan
From: David Hogan @ 1993-07-02  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ozan S. Yigit; +Cc: sam-fans

> > And may the Lord have mercy upon your soul.

> just because he eliminated click-to-type? But look what Rob
> later wrote[1]:

> [...help quote elided...]

Yes, but help is not sam, and sam is not help.  Abandoning
click-to-type worked well for help, because every bit of text
on the screen is a potential command for help to execute, so
instead of having pop-up menus you have windows with commands
in them.  It's part of the overall design.  Sam was designed
to have a click-to-type policy, and it works very well the way
it is.  And besides, there is a long tradition of sam users
who have enjoyed its very click-to-type-ness, and probably
view this change as an act of desecration (I know I do :-).

``We're all in it together''  -  Brazil

* click-to-type
@ 1993-07-02  4:25     ` noel
From: noel @ 1993-07-02  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

    From:	David Hogan <dhog@cs.su.oz.au>

    it is.  And besides, there is a long tradition of sam users
    who have enjoyed its very click-to-type-ness, and probably
    view this change as an act of desecration (I know I do :-).

you are being too kind, david; it is hideous, execrable, heinous.