sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* Re: Auto-raise in samterm
@ 1993-07-02 23:26 Ed Kubaitis - CCSO
From: Ed Kubaitis - CCSO @ 1993-07-02 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

Rob's *real* crime was "...I've applied the samx patch...".

Happy 4th to those of the USA persuasion.

Ed
Sam Stripes & Streamers, Inc
No feature too fatuous. No hack too ugly.

* Re: Auto-raise in samterm
@ 1993-07-04 15:19   ` John Mackin
From: John Mackin @ 1993-07-04 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

Chris points out:

     For all the vituperation so far, it's worth remembering that sam's
    click-to-focus policy was created on a system where click-to-focus
    was the overall focus policy as well (to use X terminology). It may
    well make sense to switch to mouse-based focusing inside sam if your
    X window manager also uses mouse-based focusing.

Did anyone _forget_ that?  There's another alternative, of course.  You
can throw out your hideous real-estate-driven window manager and use one
that implements click-to-focus, the One True Focus Policy.  I know _I_
did.  (Hell, I wonder why my X terminal behaves so much like a Blit
running mux... must be _some_ reason...)

OK,
John.

* Re: Auto-raise in samterm
@ 1993-07-03 16:59 rsalz
From: rsalz @ 1993-07-03 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans-owner

>Rob's *real* crime was "...I've applied the samx patch...".
huynh?

* Re: Auto-raise in samterm
@ 1993-07-02 21:49 ` Chris Siebenmann
From: Chris Siebenmann @ 1993-07-02 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

 For all the vituperation so far, it's worth remembering that sam's
click-to-focus policy was created on a system where click-to-focus
was the overall focus policy as well (to use X terminology). It may
well make sense to switch to mouse-based focusing inside sam if your
X window manager also uses mouse-based focusing.

	- cks

* Re: Auto-raise in samterm
@ 1993-07-02  2:37 ` noel
From: noel @ 1993-07-02  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rob, sam-fans

oh my god!

* Auto-raise in samterm
@ 1993-07-02  2:12 rob
From: rob @ 1993-07-02  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

Well, I just got my hands on sam (I've known about it for 1.5 years but
I didn't know where to get it), and I'm pretty happy with it.  I'm using
it on a SPARC 1+ under X11R5.  I've applied the samx patch.

Anyway, one thing I really didn't like about samterm was the
click-to-type business.  I really hate that.  So I came up with a little
patch that eliminates click-to-type, which I have included below.

rob

----- cut here -----
*** virgin/samterm/main.c	Thu Jul  1 20:35:04 1993
--- samterm/main.c	Tue Jun 29 22:11:32 1993
***************
*** 101,106 ****
--- 146,153 ----
  					scroll(which, fwdbut == 3 ? 3 : 1);