sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
From: Joerg Wittenberger <joerg.wittenberger@inf.tu-dresden.de>
To: sam-fans@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: sam confused, Q: arrow keys
Date: Mon, 29 May 1995 11:43:55 -0400	[thread overview]

Hello,

I got sam a couple of days ago. I guess it's a nice thing. But I ran
into two problems with it:

1) sometimes I end up in a situation when the whole editing menu
(second mouse key) is displayed with parens around the topics and none
of the commands typed into the ~sam~ window has any effect. I neither
understand how I get into this situation nor how to escape from. All I
can do is to terminate sam. Any help?

2) The arrow keys: I'm sitting in front of an AIX. When I try to move
the cursor using the arrow keys they seem to have all the effect of
page up/down. I can't move character or line wise. How can I get an
usable key binding?

3) On different point (unrelated to sam): I attempt to compile 9term
for the AIX, but I failed. I had to change some code to open a pty (as
usual with AIX everything is a little different) into a mix of the two
kinds already in the file pty.c. After doing so I ended up with an
executable which opened a window. But the shell was obviewsly started
on a complete different pty!! (After some tries starting and killing
the 9term, I was left with a window where a couple of shells shared
ONE pty. Fancy.) Any idea where to look? Did someone succed to compile
9term for the AIX (version 3)?

One more Q: what I really can't understand: I promise that I got a
executable one day. Since this day I can't link it any more. (Well, I
changed something and didn't keep track of.) Whenever I try to link it
now I end up with:

        cc  -o 9term 9term.o command.o display.o pty.o ../libtext/libtext.a ../l
ibframe/libframe.a ../libXg/libXg.a -lXt -lX11 -lm
0706-317 ERROR: Unresolved or undefined symbols detected:
                 Symbols in error (followed by references) are
                 dumped to the load map.
                 The -bloadmap:<filename> option will create a load map.
.XrmGetDatabase

But I don't know where the XrmGetDatabase could come from (nor how it
could ever have been resolved).

Thanks
/Jerry