sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
From: arnold@skeeve.atl.ga.us (Arnold D. Robbins)
To: sam-fans@hawkwind.utcs.toronto.edu
Subject: Re: sam confused, Q: arrow keys
Date: Tue, 30 May 1995 10:00:00 -0400	[thread overview]

> I got sam a couple of days ago. I guess it's a nice thing. But I ran
> into two problems with it:
>
> 1) sometimes I end up in a situation when the whole editing menu
> (second mouse key) is displayed with parens around the topics and none
> of the commands typed into the ~sam~ window has any effect. I neither
> understand how I get into this situation nor how to escape from. All I
> can do is to terminate sam. Any help?

This is called a "protocol lock". There is a protocol between samterm,
which controls the display you interact with, and sam, which actually does
the editing. Occasionally, they get out of sync and there's nothing you
can do.

This usually happens to me after I've used the page-up or page-down keys and
then started typing before samterm has finished updating the screen. I can
usually switch to the sam window and send a 'w' and 'q' and then start a
new session.

Unfortunately, the Bell Labs guys can't seem to reproduce it... Sigh.

Arnold Robbins -- The Basement Computer		| Laundry increases
Internet: arnold@skeeve.ATL.GA.US		| exponentially in the
UUCP:	emory!skeeve!arnold			| number of children.
Bitnet:	Forget it. Get on a real network.	|    -- Miriam Robbins