sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* Re: 9term bug
@ 1997-10-31 15:53 Bengt Kleberg
From: Bengt Kleberg @ 1997-10-31 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans, schwartz

> From: Scott Schwartz <schwartz@finch.cse.psu.edu>
> I don't recall if this has been reported or not, but libtext from fails

Greetings,

I recompiled 9term (and libtext) to correct this bug (that had never bitten me IFAIK).
During recompile I noticed something I had forgotten since last time (ages ago, since 9term
is stable enough not to warrant updates every month). When compiling under linux there are
some #defines, but no makefile. Has anybody produced an official one? I could submit mine,
but I get warnings...

Best Wishes, Bengt
Everything aforementioned should be regarded as totally private
opinions, and nothing else. bengt@softwell.se
``His great strength is that he is uncompromising. It would make
him physically ill to think of programming in C++.''

* Re: 9term bug
@ 1997-11-01  0:47 ` James Matthew Farrow
From: James Matthew Farrow @ 1997-11-01  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bengt Kleberg; +Cc: sam-fans, schwartz

> > I don't recall if this has been reported or not, but libtext from fails
>
> I recompiled 9term (and libtext) to correct this bug (that had
> never bitten me IFAIK).  During recompile I noticed something I had
> forgotten since last time (ages ago, since 9term is stable enough
> not to warrant updates every month). When compiling under linux
> there are some #defines, but no makefile. Has anybody produced an
> official one? I could submit mine, but I get warnings...

I have a whole pile of bits and pieces that I've started looking
at pulling together now that I've been officially released from the
bondage of my Ph.D.

Things are going slowly (I still feel guilty working on things I
enjoy ;-) but getting there.  If you want to send me stuff I'll look
at putting out a new version with some of the patches I've been given
over the last while.

					Matty.
--
James Matthew Farrow                    | "For in that moment I beheld the ruin
matty@cs.usyd.edu.au                    | of my existence.  My world fell dark

* 9term bug
@ 1997-10-28  6:32 Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 1997-10-28  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

Hi all,

I don't recall if this has been reported or not, but libtext from fails
to initialize everything in a newly allocated Text.  (bcheck is your
friend.)

RCS file: RCS/text.c,v
retrieving revision 1.1
diff -c -r1.1 text.c
*** /tmp/T0a005Fs	Tue Oct 28 01:30:37 1997
--- text.c	Tue Oct 28 01:23:56 1997
***************
*** 47,52 ****
--- 47,53 ----
  		berror("textalloc: calloc");
  	t->length = 0;
  	t->base = 0;
+ 	t->end = 0;
  	t->p0 = 0;
  	t->p1 = 0;
  	t->pout = 0;

* 9term bug
@ 1994-12-02  0:09 plexus-sys!mdash
From: plexus-sys!mdash @ 1994-12-02  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

Has anybody else seen this race in 9term?  Here's an excerpt from
sendrunes:

        if (p > s)
                while (write(comm_fd, s, p-s) < 0 && errno == EAGAIN)
                                ;
                /* reinstate echo mode, if we disabled it above */
        if (echo) {
                ttmode.c_lflag |= ECHO;
                IOSETATTR(slave_fd, &ttmode);
        }

The IOSETATTR can race with the line discipline's processing of
characters written on comm_fd.  When the IOSETATTR beats the input
processing, some suffix of the input is echoed an extra time.

I've seen this only on some multiprocessors, but it seems theoretically
possible in other settings.  My workaround is nondeterministic, but it
works on the hosts where I've tried it.

        if (echo) {
		tcdrain(comm_fd);
                ttmode.c_lflag |= ECHO;
                IOSETATTR(slave_fd, &ttmode);
        }

Anybody got a better way to handle this?

--Mike Scheer, 908-273-1885, mdash@plexus-sys.com