sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* I give up
@ 1993-11-04 12:35 Beirne Konarski
From: Beirne Konarski @ 1993-11-04 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

OK, I have been using SAM for a week now, trying to figure out why it
is a good editor to use.  I am now giving up.  The documentation
implies that it is better than vi(my favorite) or emacs, but I cannot
figure out why.  Sure, it has a clever command language and it has not
internal limits, but it is hard to use for heavy-duty writing and
editing.  It doesn't autoindent, and I need three hands to operate the
keyboard and the mouse.  I can see using it in some special cases, like
when I need to work with a big file, but it makes no sense otherwise.
Is there something I am missing?

Beirne
Beirne Konarski                 | Reading maketh a full man, conference a
beirnek@summitis.com            | ready man, and writing an exact man.
"Untouched by Scandal"          |       -- Francis Bacon

* Re:  I give up
@ 1993-11-04 15:58 pete
From: pete @ 1993-11-04 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hc05%beirnek, sam-fans

Autoindent can be hacked in (one of the many patches that have been posted
handles this, if you really want it). Have you also tried the keyboard
patches which allow a slightly more "conventional" user interface?

"Pure" sam is a bit uncompromising; many people find it too austere for their
taste. I've _applied_ most of the patches, but don't find myself using most
of them (with the exception of cursor keys and cut/copy/paste)....

pete