sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* Re: 9term sttys
@ 1993-11-12 12:20 plexus-sys!mdash
From: plexus-sys!mdash @ 1993-11-12 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve_Kilbane

I'm running the utf version on SVR4 on an intel box.  It looks to
me like the problem is inherent in the design of 9term, and have
sent mail to Matty Farrow.  I'd rather let him respond than to
start pointing the finger publicly.
--Mike Scheer, mdash@plexus-sys.com

* Re: 9term sttys
@ 1993-11-12 21:44 ` Chris Siebenmann
From: Chris Siebenmann @ 1993-11-12 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

| of course, if you're using plan9 mode on a unix box, things might not work
| as you expect anyway. i'd stick to unix mode all the time if i were you.

 I haven't had any particular problems with plan 9 mode on our Unix
machines; switching to unix mode unfortunately loses a bunch of neat
features.

	- cks

* Re: 9term sttys
@ 1993-11-12 14:07 Steve_Kilbane
From: Steve_Kilbane @ 1993-11-12 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

>   I have somewhat similar problems on SunOS 4.1.3 with the new utf version
> of 9term. For some reason the slave pseudo tty does not return anything when
> queried by tcgetattr. Especially ICANON and ECHO appear not to be set.
> Thus I cannot use the suspend mode, which is my main motivation for using
> 9term.

hmm. are you rlogged into another machine when this happens, or is that always
the case?  when you rlogin to another machine 9term's pty goes into raw mode,
and suspend is not allowed then (you get round this by rlogging in, then
running 9term on the remote machine with DISPLAY set).

of course, if you're using plan9 mode on a unix box, things might not work
as you expect anyway. i'd stick to unix mode all the time if i were you.

> Another problem I encounter happens when I switch to unix mode. Characters
> will only appear in chunks of 4. I type three characters and nothing happens
> and when I type the fourth all four characters appear. I have not looked
> into the utf character handling, but I suspect it has something to do with
> that. Sometimes 9term will just die when I switch between unix and plan9
> modes.

could be due to your terminal settings. here's what i use...

speed 9600 baud, 23 rows, 90 columns
parenb -parodd cs7 -cstopb -hupcl cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
ixon -ixany -ixoff imaxbel
isig iexten icanon -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop
echoctl -echoprt echoke
opost -olcuc -onlcr -ocrnl -onocr onlret -ofill -ofdel -tabs
erase  kill   werase rprnt  flush  lnext  susp   intr   quit   stop   eof
^?     ^U     ^W     ^R     ^O     ^V     ^Z/^Y  ^C     ^\     ^S/^Q  ^D

hope this helps.

steve

* Re: 9term sttys
@ 1993-11-12 10:39 Robert T. Raschke
From: Robert T. Raschke @ 1993-11-12 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

Hello,

  I have somewhat similar problems on SunOS 4.1.3 with the new utf version
of 9term. For some reason the slave pseudo tty does not return anything when
queried by tcgetattr. Especially ICANON and ECHO appear not to be set.
Thus I cannot use the suspend mode, which is my main motivation for using
9term.
Another problem I encounter happens when I switch to unix mode. Characters
will only appear in chunks of 4. I type three characters and nothing happens
and when I type the fourth all four characters appear. I have not looked
into the utf character handling, but I suspect it has something to do with
that. Sometimes 9term will just die when I switch between unix and plan9
modes.
Any help out there ?

Robert

--
Robert Raschke
rraschke@cs.tu-berlin.de

* Re: 9term sttys
@ 1993-11-12  8:46 Steve_Kilbane
From: Steve_Kilbane @ 1993-11-12  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

what platform are you running it on, and which version are you using? i did
have some problems with an earlier version, but the utf version seems fine to
me.

steve

* 9term sttys
@ 1993-11-11 16:40 plexus-sys!mdash
From: plexus-sys!mdash @ 1993-11-11 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

Has anyone else seen 9term get confused saving and restoring termios?
I see it getting into a state where application-issued sttys are lost;
this first came to my attention with /bin/su echoing the password.
It appears to be timing-related.  Debugging is complicated by the
large number of tcsetattrs/TCSETAs done.

--Mike Scheer, mdash@plexus-sys.com