sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* Re: huh?
@ 1993-03-10 19:44 Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 1993-03-10 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

> i believe the difference is that ``x'' without a pattern
> immediately following it uses an implicit /^.*\n/

That convention is somewhat inconsistent, since spaces are ignored
elsewhere.  Now that @ is no longer used for fat-dot, maybe it could be
used instead.  I.e.  use ``x@''  instead of ``x '', to mean x/^.*\n/
and ignore spaces between tokens.

* Re: huh?
@ 1993-03-16 19:57 Ozan S. Yigit
From: Ozan S. Yigit @ 1993-03-16 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

Scott Schwartz wrote:

> > i believe the difference is that ``x'' without a pattern
> > immediately following it uses an implicit /^.*\n/
>
> That convention is somewhat inconsistent, since spaces are ignored
> elsewhere.  Now that @ is no longer used for fat-dot, maybe it could be
> used instead.  I.e.  use ``x@''  instead of ``x '', to mean x/^.*\n/
> and ignore spaces between tokens.

I note "l" (for "line") is unused:

oz

* Re: huh?
@ 1993-03-10 17:02 ` Ozan S. Yigit
From: Ozan S. Yigit @ 1993-03-10 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

> i believe the difference is that ``x'' without a pattern
> immediately following it uses an implicit /^.*\n/

Ah, now I found it in page 8 of the tutorial. Grumble, all
this time, I have been using it without this shorthand. It
goes to show that one must always read Bell Labs tutorials
with care. ;-)

oz
---
We only know... what we know, and | email: oz@sis.yorku.ca
that is very little. --Dan Rather | ph:416 736 2100 x33976

* Re: huh?
@ 1993-03-10 16:53 Paul Haahr
From: Paul Haahr @ 1993-03-10 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oz; +Cc: sam-fans

> works:
>	,x/arglist_opt/ c/opt_arglist/
> complains:
>	, x /arglist_opt/ c /opt_arglist/

i believe the difference is that ``x'' without a pattern
immediately following it uses an implicit /^.*\n/

* huh?
@ 1993-03-10 16:39 Ozan Yigit
From: Ozan Yigit @ 1993-03-10 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sam-fans

works:

	,x/arglist_opt/ c/opt_arglist/

complains:

	, x /arglist_opt/ c /opt_arglist/
	?changes not in sequence

I am not sure if I understand this. The only difference is
the spaces... Have I missed a subtle point about them?

... oz
---
With diligence, it is possible to make | electric: oz@sis.yorku.ca
anything run slowly.        --Tom Duff | ph:[416] 736 2100 x 33976