sam-fans - fans of the sam editor
* Re: libXg and caps lock on Sun type V keyboard under openwindows
@ 1993-07-21 21:52 pete
From: pete @ 1993-07-21 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pete, schwartz; +Cc: 9fans, sam-fans

From schwartz@groucho.cse.psu.edu Wed Jul 21 13:47:07 0400 1993

[I said]
>| As far as I'm concerned this is only a minor irritant -- Caps Lock is
>| pointless anyway in these days of OPERATING SYSTEMS THAT DON'T REQUIRE
>| YOU TO SHOUT -- but I wondered if anyone else had noticed this bug-ette
>| and/or had a fix for it?

>It doesn't show up here, running MIT X11.

I tried re-linking against MIT X11R4 libraries rather than the Openwindows
ones, with the same result. I guess it's an Openwindows 2 server
``feature''. Sigh.

>In terms of shouting, if you use MODULA-3, encrusted as it is with
>upper case keywords, caps-lock is about the only alternative (and a
>poor one at that) to a context sensitive editor like emacs.

Hmmm.... I think if I was using sam to edit a language which required upper
case I'd knock together some sort of filter to do the capitalisation and
pipe the file through it before a write... that's what the '|' command is
there for! Couple of extra keystrokes perhaps (maybe only one if you're
using the keyboard extensions to sam) and it avoids the dreaded emacs...

pete
--
 Peter Fenelon - Research Associate - High Integrity Systems Engineering Group,
 Dept. of Computer Science, University of York, York, Y01 5DD +44 (0)904 433388

* Re: libXg and caps lock on Sun type V keyboard under openwindows
@ 1993-07-21 17:47 ` Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 1993-07-21 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pete; +Cc: 9fans, sam-fans

@ 1993-07-21 16:11 pete
From: pete @ 1993-07-21 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans, sam-fans

Not sure which of these lists (9fans or sam-fans) is more appropriate, but
here goes:

Running 9term or samterm under Openwindows (sparcstation elc; type 5
keyboard; openwindows 2; sunos 4.1.1) I find that the Caps Lock key is
interpreted as Shift Lock -- i.e. 123 comes out as !"# and so on. It looks
like a libXg bug to me...

pete@minster.york.ac.uk `Today keeps slipping by me, it leaves no aftertaste.'