* How to figure out which runit run scripts require a log service?
@ 2023-07-31 21:14 Steve Litt
From: Steve Litt @ 2023-07-31 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: supervision

Referring to http://smarden.org/runit/runscripts.html , some of the run
scripts have a note saying "This service needs a log service to be set
up" and some don't. With run scripts not at that URL and not available
to me, including run scripts for my own home-built daemons, how do I
know whether a log service is required for a specific daemon?

SteveT

Steve Litt

* Re: How to figure out which runit run scripts require a log service?
@ 2023-08-01  2:28 ` Đoàn Trần Công Danh
From: Đoàn Trần Công Danh @ 2023-08-01  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Litt; +Cc: supervision

On 2023-07-31 17:14:16-0400, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> Referring to http://smarden.org/runit/runscripts.html , some of the run
> scripts have a note saying "This service needs a log service to be set
> up" and some don't. With run scripts not at that URL and not available
> to me, including run scripts for my own home-built daemons, how do I
> know whether a log service is required for a specific daemon?

If your service writes logs and/or diagnotics message to stdout and
stderr, you need a log service.

--
Danh