The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] VAX-11/780 emulation
@ 2003-06-17  5:04 Akito Fujita
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Akito Fujita @ 2003-06-17  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I have a plan to run UNIX/32V using SIMH.

UNIX/32V is required VAX-11/780
and SIMH support Micro VAX III (?) only.
Is it possible without any modification ?

Does anyone try this ?
Are there more better emulator than SIMH ?
or Should I add the feature of 11/780 emulation into SIHM ?

Thanks

- Akito

* [TUHS] VAX-11/780 emulation
@ 2003-06-17  5:53 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2003-06-17  5:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 02:04:40PM +0900, Akito Fujita wrote:
> I have a plan to run UNIX/32V using SIMH.
>
> UNIX/32V is required VAX-11/780
> and SIMH support Micro VAX III (?) only.
> Is it possible without any modification ?

No, I don't think you can run UNIX/32V using SIMH.
You need something that really looks like a VAX-11/780.

	Warren

* [TUHS] VAX-11/780 emulation
@ 2003-06-17  6:09   ` Akito Fujita
From: Akito Fujita @ 2003-06-17  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] VAX-11/780 emulation
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:53:33 +1000

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 02:04:40PM +0900, Akito Fujita wrote:
> > I have a plan to run UNIX/32V using SIMH.
> >
> > UNIX/32V is required VAX-11/780
> > and SIMH support Micro VAX III (?) only.
> > Is it possible without any modification ?
>
> No, I don't think you can run UNIX/32V using SIMH.
> You need something that really looks like a VAX-11/780.

Also I have looked for more better emulator than SIMH,
but I've never find anything yet.

Does anyone have a good information about it ?

- Akito

* [TUHS] VAX-11/780 emulation
@ 2003-06-17 17:26 ` Kenneth Stailey
From: Kenneth Stailey @ 2003-06-17 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- Akito Fujita <akito_fujita at mvg.biglobe.ne.jp> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a plan to run UNIX/32V using SIMH.
>
> UNIX/32V is required VAX-11/780
> and SIMH support Micro VAX III (?) only.
> Is it possible without any modification ?

VAX-11/780 is a unibus VAX.
Micro VAX III / SIMH VAX is a Qbus VAX.

http://world.std.com/~bdc/projects/vaxen/vax-perf.html

SIMH is "Mayfair III" on that page.

> Does anyone try this ?
> Are there more better emulator than SIMH ?
> or Should I add the feature of 11/780 emulation into SIHM ?
>
> Thanks
>

> - Akito

http://sbc.yahoo.com

* [TUHS] VAX-11/780 emulation
@ 2003-06-17 20:09 ` Andru Luvisi
From: Andru Luvisi @ 2003-06-17 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Akito Fujita wrote:
[snip]
> Are there more better emulator than SIMH ?
> or Should I add the feature of 11/780 emulation into SIHM ?
[snip]

I don't know if it is any better since I haven't ever used it, but
supposedly ts10 can emulate a vax.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ts10/

Andru
--
Andru Luvisi, Programmer/Analyst

Quote Of The Moment:
  Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from
  mediocre minds.
                  -- Albert Einstein

  They laughed at Einstein.  They laughed at the Wright Brothers.
  But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
                  -- Carl Sagan

* [TUHS] VAX-11/780 emulation
@ 2003-06-18  2:26   ` Timothy Stark
From: Timothy Stark @ 2003-06-18  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

Yes, latest ts10 versions are at
ftp://ftp.firesword7.net/pub/ts10/develop.  11/780 emulation is not
finished yet because I am figuring out how some memory and unibus
configuration programming works.  I have working Massbus emulation for
11/780 emulation.

Tim Stark

@ 2003-06-18  5:54   ` nao
From: nao @ 2003-06-18  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

In message "Re: [TUHS] VAX-11/780 emulation"
    on 03/06/18, Akito Fujita <akito_fujita at mvg.biglobe.ne.jp> writes:
>I want to make sure how different it from BSD.
>That is reason why I want to run UNIX/32V.
>Perhaps, no one have seen UNIX/32V which is running in Japan.
>
>Also we can run old [34]BSD stuff without modification,
>if we have VAX-11/780 emulator.

Some report on UNIX/32V for VAX-11/780 located at the University of
Tokyo appeared in a Japanese journal for computer architecture in
1981. See the following web page for details. CAVEAT: it contains lots
of Japanese characters.

http://www.ipsj.or.jp/members/SIGNotes/Jpn/08/1981/041/article005.html

Naoki Hamada
nao at tom-yam.ro.jp

* [TUHS] VAX-11/780 emulation
@ 2003-06-18  5:28 ` Akito Fujita
From: Akito Fujita @ 2003-06-18  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: "zmkm zmkm" <new_zmkm@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:29:06 +0000

> I don't know if you got my earlier email it was bounced back earlier today
> from TUHS any way v32 doesn't support virtual memory.

Yes, I know it.

@ 2003-06-17 19:29 zmkm zmkm
From: zmkm zmkm @ 2003-06-17 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all

what about eVAX ??? , any one tried this ? is it any good ??

Akito

I don't know if you got my earlier email it was bounced back earlier today
from TUHS any way v32 doesn't support virtual memory.

zmkm