The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] Test
@ 2003-02-17 20:35 Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-02-17 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Test!
Sorry for the disturbance. Just a routine test message to confirm that
the list is awake. I haven't gotten anything since sometime in the past.
Gregg C Levine drwho8 at worldnet.att.net
"This signature wants to be playing in the snow!"

* [pups] Test
@ 2003-02-17 20:58 ` Greg Haerr
From: Greg Haerr @ 2003-02-17 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sorry for the disturbance. Just a routine test message to confirm that
> the list is awake. I haven't gotten anything since sometime in the past.

Are you trying to wake us all up? - yes, I'm here!

Regards,

Greg

* [pups] Test
@ 2003-02-17 21:26   ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-02-17 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again from Gregg C Levine
Oh I know everyone is awake. Except those of us who sleep for work <G> I
just haven't heard a squawk from the list since sometime last year. To
quote a phrase, "Watch this space!". I'll be posting some questions,
RSN.
Gregg C Levine drwho8 at worldnet.att.net
"This signature voted for the party from Naboo!"
Greg Haerr wrote:

> > Sorry for the disturbance. Just a routine test message to confirm that
> > the list is awake. I haven't gotten anything since sometime in the past.
>
> Are you trying to wake us all up? - yes, I'm here!
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg

* Some questions, was Re: [pups] Test
@ 2003-02-17 23:36     ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-02-17 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again from Gregg C Levine
Here are those questions:
1) What is the status of networking, with regards to the boot images?
2) Has anyone actually managed to dump the image that's contained within the
Soupnik collected UNIX versions to an actual disk?
3) Has anyone actually managed to build a kernel from that source code?
Either native, and on a Simh setup will do.
Gregg C Levine drwho8 at worldnet.att.net
"Oh my!" The Second Doctor's nearly favorite phrase.

@ 2003-02-17 23:53       ` David Evans
From: David Evans @ 2003-02-17 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 06:36:28PM -0500, Gregg C Levine wrote:
> 1) What is the status of networking, with regards to the boot images?

  The distribution doesn't include any networking IIRC.

> 2) Has anyone actually managed to dump the image that's contained within the
> Soupnik collected UNIX versions to an actual disk?

  Yep--that's how I got my system bootstrapped.  dd'd the image to a SCSI disk
and stuck it in my /73.

> 3) Has anyone actually managed to build a kernel from that source code?

  "That" being the stuff in the standard distribution?  Yes.

> "Oh my!" The Second Doctor's nearly favorite phrase.

  What, with "oh dear" and "oh, Jamie!" competing for the status of favourite?

David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie     http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
University of Waterloo         "Default is the value selected by the composer
Ontario, Canada           overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual

* Some questions, was Re: [pups] Test
@ 2003-02-18  0:41         ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-02-18  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again from Gregg C Levine
Okay, that covers my questions for your department. Thank you, David.
 No networking? Why not? Can that be added? And how did you add the
source code disks?

And as for the comment, David, I just remember them, and write them
down. He did say those, and probably has them filed the way I
suggested. Mine second, your selection first, and third.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

On

dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca

@ 2003-02-18  0:48           ` David Evans
From: David Evans @ 2003-02-18  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 07:41:12PM -0500, Gregg C Levine wrote:
>  No networking? Why not?

  Don't know.  To save on space in the GENERIC kernel, likely.

> Can that be added?

  Yes.

> And how did you add the
> source code disks?

  Hmmm...I'm trying to remember.  I *think* that there was actually networking
in the SIMH archive, while there is not in the generic install archive.

> And as for the comment, David, I just remember them, and write them
> down. He did say those, and probably has them filed the way I
> suggested. Mine second, your selection first, and third.

  Heh.

David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca

@ 2003-02-18  6:00     ` Ian King
From: Ian King @ 2003-02-18  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, I recently posted an inquiry that was answered by complete silence.
:-)  (Not complete, actually - someone where I work showed up at my office
to discuss it!)  No worries, I found a DEQNA cable on eBay; of course, I had
to buy the DEQNA, too, but it never hurts to have spares.  That should be
here by the time I return from my next business trip (I leave tomorrow), and
I can begin the process of building a network-enabled 2.11BSD kernel for my
11/73.

I'm enjoying this: "my PDP-11 - oh, I mean the 11/73, not the 11/34"....  I
rearranged stuff and things so I have a VT-52 sitting on top of the 11/73's
cabinet, and the ADM-3a on the desk, connected to the 11/34.  I'm really
having second thoughts about the DECscope, though - clunky old piece of
s***, truth be told.  Maybe some artifacts of techology are better off
forgotten!

I'm also revisiting some old threads in which I'd participated, about Unix
v6 on the 11/34 - I'm having problems getting cc to work again, with the
error "can't find c0.lib".  Last time, someone suggested it was a memory
problem, and indeed the XXDP diagnostic found a memory defect.  This time,
XXDP doesn't show a memory problem.  I rebuilt my system disk from the
'sacred copy', but I'm seeing the same problem.  My next step is to boot
single-user and try it - but that's after I get back from The Road, too.

OK, did I contribute my quota of noise?  Cheers -- Ian

> Oh I know everyone is awake. Except those of us who sleep for work <G> I
> just haven't heard a squawk from the list since sometime last year. To
> quote a phrase, "Watch this space!". I'll be posting some questions,
> RSN.
> Gregg C Levine drwho8 at worldnet.att.net
> "This signature voted for the party from Naboo!"
> Greg Haerr wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry for the disturbance. Just a routine test message to confirm that
> > > the list is awake. I haven't gotten anything since sometime in the
past.

> > Are you trying to wake us all up? - yes, I'm here!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Greg

* [pups] Test
@ 2003-02-18 15:35 ` Bill Mayhew
From: Bill Mayhew @ 2003-02-18 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh, good... the silence is not my imagination!

        -Bill (resisting the temptation to send a simulated auto-reply ;-) )
Bill Mayhew
The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily
represent those of Oracle Corporation.

Gregg C Levine drwho8 at worldnet.att.net
"This signature wants to be playing in the snow!"