The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] Re: PDP11 - RQDX1 standalone format utility? --> XXDP
       [not found] <001201c2d98f$b4ff34d0$77b95b8b@ics.forth.gr>
@ 2003-02-23  0:59 ` Jonathan Engdahl
From: Jonathan Engdahl @ 2003-02-23  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I documented the procedure to extract a program from XXDP and put a header
on it so that you can boot it from VTserver or a UNIX disk. It has been a
long time since I did this to ZRQCH0, so I practiced on the program that I
think Christos needs (ZRQBC1) and sent it to him.

There's a lot I don't know about the a.out header, so if someone can improve
my method, let me know.

http://users.safeaccess.com/engdahl/xxdp.htm#hackXXDP

"Teach a man to fish..."

--
Jonathan Engdahl
http://users.safeaccess.com/engdahl

"The things which are seen are temporary,
 but the things which are not seen are eternal."  II Cor. 4:18

From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-02-23  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again from Gregg C Levine
I've looked at your web pages on the subject of using XXDP to create
that standalone format utility. And it makes sense. All of it.
However, there's a broken link on it, regarding XXDP, and where to
find it. Currently the link which points to the repository at Ibiblio,
is correct. Or even the one you're using as they both work. But the
one that says that the manual, and notes, and the OS, are available
at, is the broken one. It comes up to a file not found error message.
That guy has always had problems with his site, which is unfortunate.
It hasn't returned.

However, what are you running E-11 under? And which version? The
current one prefers a plain DOS environment, or even a Linux
environment. The older ones, such as the versions stored on the site
here, will work under DOS/Windows, even Windows 98SE, as I've proven.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

On
> Behalf Of Jonathan Engdahl
> Sent: Saturday, February 22, 2003 8:00 PM
> To: cctech at classiccmp.org; pups at minnie.tuhs.org
> Subject: [pups] Re: PDP11 - RQDX1 standalone format utility? -->
XXDP

@ 2003-02-23 17:15     ` Jonathan Engdahl
From: Jonathan Engdahl @ 2003-02-23 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I fixed the link.

E11 is a bit of a problem. I'm running E11 3.0 demo. I have to run it on a
machine that still has Windows ME. All the other machines run XP now, and
E11 doesn't seem to work under XP. I tried to get to www.dbit.com to see if
there's a fix, but the site seems to be gone.

--
Jonathan Engdahl

@ 2003-02-23 20:31       ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-02-23 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again from Gregg C Levine
I can't understand it. When I posted the original reply, that site
regarding XXDP wasn't up. Now it is. I think this is all because the
Winter of 2003, is causing chaos to over work itself. And Jonathan, I
know we'll figure something out. This business is fun, so I'm looking
at it, as a hobby if nothing else.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

XXDP

<pups at minnie.tuhs.org>

From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-02-23 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again from Gregg C Levine
Regarding Dbit, and E-11. The site is back. But you're right. I don't
think there's a fix. If there is one, he'll probably deny it.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net

@ 2003-02-23 21:40   ` Michael Davidson
From: Michael Davidson @ 2003-02-23 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonathan Engdahl wrote:

>I documented the procedure to extract a program from XXDP and put a header
>on it so that you can boot it from VTserver or a UNIX disk. It has been a
>long time since I did this to ZRQCH0, so I practiced on the program that I
>think Christos needs (ZRQBC1) and sent it to him.
>
>There's a lot I don't know about the a.out header, so if someone can improve
>my method, let me know.
>
>http://users.safeaccess.com/engdahl/xxdp.htm#hackXXDP

There isn't very much to know about the a.out header,
and what you are doing looks OK although I would probably
have set a_text to 160000 and left a_data and a_bss as 0.

While I am not really familiar with the BSD boot code that
vtserver uses when loading a program I am almost certain that
it will use the entrypoint address in the a.out header and
not just jump to address 0. (remember it's an actual program
loader that understands a.out format, not just something that
only knows how to load a boot block and jump to it)

This is confirmed by the fact that the code you are patching
into the image at address 0 is wrong if you want it to get
you to the restart address.

In your example you have:

000020/ 000167
000022/ 145702

If this was loaded at address 0 in memory and the boot code
jumped to address 0, you would end up at 145706 *not* 145702
(of course, you might very well get lucky and still land on
an instruction boundary, but you would have skipped the first
2 words of the restart code).

If this code were really necessary (and I'm 99.99% sure that
it isn't) you would want either:

000137
145702

or:

000167
145676

* [pups] Re: PDP11 - RQDX1 standalone format utility? --> XXDP
@ 2003-02-24  2:41     ` Jonathan Engdahl
From: Jonathan Engdahl @ 2003-02-24  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

You are right: 000137. The funny thing is, I had it right the first time.
I'll go update the web page.

On the other header fields, I agree with your idea, but for some reason, I
have this vague recollection that there was a reason for what I did with
them. It's always a bad idea to second guess something you did a year ago
and "fix" it (see the 000137 thing). It's working, so I'd best leave it
alone until it's proven to be broken. I think I remember setting it up that
way after reading through the source for some boot loader.

Hmm, yes, it was the "boot" program. VTserver squirts down a small loader
via ODT, which then loads boot.dd. Same as the boot program that the 512
byte rauboot program loads. This one:

73Boot from ra(0,0,0) at 0172150
: ra(0,0,0)unix

 Boot.dd knows enough to chat with the console so you can tell it what file
you want off the virtual tape or hard drive, and it does some decoding of
the header, but it's limited. Maybe I should go read that code again.

--
Jonathan Engdahl

@ 2003-02-24  4:32     ` Jonathan Engdahl
From: Jonathan Engdahl @ 2003-02-24  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now that I think of it,

> 000137
> 145702

is wrong too. Assuming that the program is relocatable (which in this case
it probably is not), and you simply loaded the entire file into memory, it
would be offset by the 16 byte header, so you would want to jump to 145722.

I think I will remove that patch at 20 altogether.

Did you know that the output from PDPXASM can be loaded to a barely
twitching PDP-11 via VTserver? I used PDPXASM to write scope loops for an
RX02 (DSD 4140) board I resurrected.

--
Jonathan Engdahl

@ 2003-02-24  5:10       ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2003-02-24  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article by Jonathan Engdahl:
> Did you know that the output from PDPXASM can be loaded to a barely
> twitching PDP-11 via VTserver? I used PDPXASM to write scope loops for an
> RX02 (DSD 4140) board I resurrected.

I'm glad I wrote VTserver, it seems it has more uses than I thought of.
I'm out of the development loop for the new VTserver, but hopefully
it's progressing along.

	Warren

* [pups] Re: PDP11 - RQDX1 standalone format utility? --> XXDP
@ 2003-02-24  5:40       ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-02-24  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again from Gregg C Levine
I've got a PDP-11/53 on order, call it. Would that board work there?
And where could I find one of these, RX02 (DSD 4140) board(s)? Also,
what exactly is this RX02 (DSD 4140) board? Its one that I don't quite
remember hearing about.
-------------------
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net

@ 2003-02-24  6:34         ` Jonathan Engdahl
From: Jonathan Engdahl @ 2003-02-24  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

The DSD-4140 (Data Systems Design) is an RX-02 compatible floppy controller.
I had a couple, but they're gone. You can find them on the web here and
there. I have the manual for it as a directory of .jpg files. I had one that
was malfunctioning. It was sort of fun diagnosing it. I found a bad bus
buffer and fixed it.

I think it's an 18-bit DMA board. Might not work with the 11/53. Wait,
though, I have a disk with a special RT-11 driver for it. It puts the DMA
buffers in the first 256K, then copies the data if the final destination is
higher. I'm not sure if BSD can deal with this issue. I've never had to
worry about it. I have all the diags for the 4140 also.

DSD was bought by Qualogy, so some of their stuff has that name on it.

Arclight (www.arcind.net) shows three in stock. The board number is
804140-1.

Second picture down on this page:
http://users.safeaccess.com/engdahl/spare_parts.htm

Here's how it boots:
http://www.classiccmp.org/mail-archive/classiccmp/2001-06/0032.html

--
Jonathan Engdahl

Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke." Obi-Wan Kenobi

* DEC Compatible boards was RE: [pups] Re: PDP11 - RQDX1 standalone format utility? --> XXDP
@ 2003-02-24  7:24           ` Gregg C Levine
From: Gregg C Levine @ 2003-02-24  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again from Gregg C Levine
Going to the website you suggested www.arcind.net brought up an
interesting collection of boards, the ones made by Data Translation:

Data Translation:
1 - DT2762-DI
1 - DT2762-SE
1 - DT2762-SE-PG

At first glance I believe them to be the usual items that DT was
making for DEC systems until whenever they decided to EOL the whole
product line. DT, not DEC. Can any of you, ID them? Oh, and Jonathan,
I've sent an e-mail off to the company requesting a quote.
Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon at worldnet.att.net
"Use the Force, Luke."  Obi-Wan Kenobi

-->

@ 2003-02-23 22:26 Fred N. van Kempen
From: Fred N. van Kempen @ 2003-02-23 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Erzatz-11 V3.1 runs fine on Win2K and XP, please get that from
the site.  If you cant reach it, contact me offlist and I will
send it to you.

--f