The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] V6 UNIX main() oddness
@ 2018-01-25 18:42 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2018-01-25 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

So, while bringing up V6 on a hardware PDP-11/23 with an RK11 emulator using
an SD card for storage which Dave Bridgham and I are doing, I found this piece
of code in main() on V6 Unix:

	rootdir = iget(rootdev, ROOTINO);
	rootdir->i_flag =& ~ILOCK;
	u.u_cdir = iget(rootdev, ROOTINO);
	u.u_cdir->i_flag =& ~ILOCK;

I don't get why two separate calls to iget(), with the same arguments;
why not replace the second pair of lines with:

	u.u_cdir = rootdir;
	rootdir->i_count++;

What am I missing?

	Noel