The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] RIP Dennis Ritchie
@ 2015-10-11 19:09 Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2015-10-11 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

In 2011.  Enough said...

* [TUHS] RIP Dennis Ritchie
@ 2015-10-11 20:02 ` Ron Natalie
From: Ron Natalie @ 2015-10-11 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dennis was one of the friendliest, caring guys I've had the pleasure to meet.  He never let it go to his head.

> On Oct 11, 2015, at 3:09 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>
> In 2011.  Enough said...
>
> --
> Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will suffer."

* [TUHS] RIP Dennis Ritchie
@ 2016-10-13 14:54   ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2016-10-13 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think of Dennis almost daily, maybe because I program in C daily.

I miss him. I would always seek him out at conferences for a chat and get his opinion on things. The power of his mind and his creative powers were exceeded only by his gentlemanliness. He was that rare combination of qualities, high functioning theoretical and practical, architect and builder, designer and coder. I learned to truly program from a combination of reading Dennis and Ken’s code (I can tell them apart) and reading Brian’s prose.

At SouthSuite our Plan 9 authentication server is named “dmr.”

  Brantley Coile
  http://coraid.com

> On Oct 13, 2016, at 2:04 AM, Diomidis Spinellis <dds at aueb.gr> wrote:
>
> Wired is currently listing the 2011 article reporting the death of Dennis Ritchie as the second most popular one.  dmr left this world of transient bits exactly five years ago.
>
> On 13/10/2016 08:43, Paul Osborne wrote:
>> Wired is reporting this morning that Dennis has passed away.
>>
>> :(
>>
>> Paul

* [TUHS] RIP Dennis Ritchie
@ 2016-10-13 13:50 ` Armando Stettner
From: Armando Stettner @ 2016-10-13 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nicely said, Norman.

   aps

> On Oct 13, 2016, at 05:51, Norman Wilson <norman at oclsc.org> wrote:
>
> The news of Dennis's demise is indeed an echo from five
> years ago.
>
> Dennis would have been amused.
>
> Think of it is a day to think about Dennis and what he
> gave us, instead of Trump and what he threatens.  I
> suspect many of us could use that.
>
> Norman Wilson
> Toronto ON

* [TUHS] RIP Dennis Ritchie
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2016-10-13 13:36 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2016-10-13 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul,

As you now realize, Dennis left us 5 years ago after a long illness.  The
Labs had a wonderful memorial that I was lucky enough to be able to
participate.  The theme of the event was "Simply Genius."   My words are
that he was a remarkable person and I'm so glad to have known him.

BTW: I suspect your mistaking of the timing of his demise as being more
recent would have made him smile.   Just as he did when he discussed
Harvard never actually conferring his PhD due to a bureaucratic issue (a
number of people have tried to get this corrected even after setting up a
chair in honor but so far I do not believe the administration has relented).

Anyway - I agree that he was simply a genius.   We all lost a great man and
magnificent human being when he left us, and I miss talking to him.

Clem

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 1:43 AM, Paul Osborne <pao at mogwog.org> wrote:

> Wired is reporting this morning that Dennis has passed away.
>
> :(
>
> Paul

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS]  RIP Dennis Ritchie
@ 2016-10-13 12:51 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2016-10-13 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2016-10-13  7:28   ` Paul Osborne
From: Paul Osborne @ 2016-10-13  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yes. I should have double checked.

Apologies top all who entered a second stage of grieving.

Paul

@ 2016-10-13  6:04 ` Diomidis Spinellis
From: Diomidis Spinellis @ 2016-10-13  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wired is currently listing the 2011 article reporting the death of
Dennis Ritchie as the second most popular one.  dmr left this world of
transient bits exactly five years ago.

On 13/10/2016 08:43, Paul Osborne wrote:
> Wired is reporting this morning that Dennis has passed away.
>
> :(
>
> Paul

* [TUHS] RIP Dennis Ritchie
@ 2016-10-13  6:04 ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2016-10-13  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Ritchie says this is from 2011...

Warner

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 11:43 PM, Paul Osborne <pao at mogwog.org> wrote:
> Wired is reporting this morning that Dennis has passed away.
>
> :(
>
> Paul

* [TUHS] RIP Dennis Ritchie
@ 2016-10-13  5:51 ` Dave Horsfall
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2016-10-13  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016, Paul Osborne wrote:

> Wired is reporting this morning that Dennis has passed away.

Five years ago, actually.

* [TUHS] RIP Dennis Ritchie
@ 2016-10-13  5:43 Paul Osborne
                   ` (3 more replies)