The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] Advice on which PDP-11 processor handbook to buy
@ 2007-01-24 18:52 Walter F.J. Mueller
From: Walter F.J. Mueller @ 2007-01-24 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ross,

you'll find on the Bitsavers Site (http://www.bitsavers.org)
lots of documents, some handbooks under

   http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11/handbooks/

and the "PDP-11 Processor Handbook - PDP11/04/34a/44/60/70" under

   http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11/handbooks/PDP11_Handbook1979.pdf

Under http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11 is quite a bit on various
pdp-11 models, for example the "KB11-C Processor Manual (PDP-11/70)"

   http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11/1170/EK-KB11C-TM-001_1170procMan.pdf

in case you'd like to go into details :).

			With best regards,	Walter

Dr. Walter F.J. Müller    Mail:  W.F.J.Mueller at gsi.de
GSI,  Abteilung KP3       Phone: +49-6159-71-2766
D-64291 Darmstadt         FAX:   +49-6159-71-3762

* [pups] Advice on which PDP-11 processor handbook to buy
@ 2007-01-24 19:13 ` Toby Thain
From: Toby Thain @ 2007-01-24 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24-Jan-07, at 4:52 PM, Walter F.J. Mueller wrote:

> Hi Ross,
>
> you'll find on the Bitsavers Site (http://www.bitsavers.org)
> lots of documents, some handbooks under
>
>    http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11/handbooks/
>
> and the "PDP-11 Processor Handbook - PDP11/04/34a/44/60/70" under
>
>    http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11/handbooks/
> PDP11_Handbook1979.pdf

Yes, I remember seeing that one years ago. But only that one. I guess
the difficulty of scanning small perfect bound books (without
guillotining the spine off) doesn't help productivity :-)

--T

@ 2007-01-24 16:07   ` Andreas Hein
From: Andreas Hein @ 2007-01-24 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Most of the infos, i need for my own PDP11-FPGA project, i found on:

http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/dec/pdp11

see the sub-folder "handbooks" there you will find a Processor-Handbook as well.

--AH
-------------------------
Von: Toby Thain <toby at smartgames.ca>
An: Kevin McQuiggin <mcquiggi at sfu.ca>
Cc: pups at minnie.tuhs.org
Datum: Mittwoch, 24 Januar 2007 13:29
Betreff: Re: [pups] Advice on which PDP-11 processor handbook to buy

On 24-Jan-07, at 4:42 AM, Kevin McQuiggin wrote:

> Why not just download one from one of the many online archives?
> Most of
> them are in PDF format.

Actually I've never seen a handbook online, and I've scoured DEC
archives - just not for a year or so. Has this changed?

@ 2007-01-24 12:07     ` Johnny Billquist
From: Johnny Billquist @ 2007-01-24 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>>The major groupings you can do with the PDP-11 systems are otherwise if
>>they have split I/D space, supervisor mode, unibus map and 22-bit
>>addressing, floating point (none/FIS/FPP) and EIS.
>>Rougly, you can say:
>>
>>11/34: EIS. Optional FPP.
>>11/40: None of that. Optional EIS and FIS.
>>11/44: All of it. Optional FPP.
>>11/45: split I/D, supervisor, EIS. Optional FPP.
>>11/60: EIS. Optional FPP.
>>11/70: All of it. Optional FPP
>
> And let's not forget the CIS Option.  :-)

Right. And I forgot to mention the 11/24 as well. (I'm ignoring the
Q-bus machines, and really old/small unibus machines as well.)

So we also have CIS. And to adjust the list above:
11/24: EIS, unibus map and 22-bit addressing. Optional FPP and CIS.
11/44: Optional CIS.

	Johnny

* [pups] Advice on which PDP-11 processor handbook to buy
@ 2007-01-24 11:57 ` Toby Thain
From: Toby Thain @ 2007-01-24 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2007-01-24 11:37   ` Bill Gunshannon
From: Bill Gunshannon @ 2007-01-24 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The major groupings you can do with the PDP-11 systems are otherwise if
> they have split I/D space, supervisor mode, unibus map and 22-bit
> addressing, floating point (none/FIS/FPP) and EIS.
> Rougly, you can say:
>
> 11/34: EIS. Optional FPP.
> 11/40: None of that. Optional EIS and FIS.
> 11/44: All of it. Optional FPP.
> 11/45: split I/D, supervisor, EIS. Optional FPP.
> 11/60: EIS. Optional FPP.
> 11/70: All of it. Optional FPP

And let's not forget the CIS Option.  :-)

bill

bill at cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |

* [pups] Advice on which PDP-11 processor handbook to buy
@ 2007-01-24  8:58 ` Johnny Billquist
From: Johnny Billquist @ 2007-01-24  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you want to understand the PDP-11 assembly language, any of them will do.

If you want to understand the MMU and some esoteric stuff, it might be a
good idea to get one of the books that actually cover the exact
processor you're interested in.

The basic instruction set is the same on all of the processors. There
are some very minor differences, but those are not even properly
documented in most of these books, and relate to how condition codes are
affected for some odd cases that you normally don't care about.

@ 2007-01-24  7:57 ` Mike Cheponis
From: Mike Cheponis @ 2007-01-24  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's really nice to have an original paper copy, especially the 1975 one recommended.

I'd suggest eBay as a source for it, though, if you can wait a bit until one shows up.

-Mike

@ 2007-01-24  6:42 Kevin McQuiggin
From: Kevin McQuiggin @ 2007-01-24  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Name: not available

* [pups] Advice on which PDP-11 processor handbook to buy
@ 2007-01-24  5:25 ` Ian King
From: Ian King @ 2007-01-24  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wow, they're saying $40 for the 1978 book?  I don't think I'll lend out my
copy....

FYI, I run v6 on a PDP-11/34a with RK05 drives.  The kernel that boots up
from the install media tries to be pretty generic, and yes, you can make
changes to it to optimize it for various platforms.

So the real question is: what do you want to do?  If you just want to run a

@ 2007-01-24  5:17 ` Guy Sotomayor
From: Guy Sotomayor @ 2007-01-24  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ross Tucker wrote:
> Hello all-
> I'm a n00b on this list, so please forgive me my sins as I forgive
> those who.... uh, never mind. Anyway, I am looking to get a "PDP-11
> Processor Handbook" from Amazon or eBay (so I can understand the Lions
> book) and there are so many different editions and versions... Lions
> writes about the 11/40, but supposedly, that's not too different from
> the /45 or /70. My simh boot images for v6 are for the /45 (though
> supposedly I'm supposed to be able to modify them to run on the
> others, right?).

There are a number of differences between the /40 & /45 and /70:

    * 45 & 70 are split I & D machines
    * /40 has it own floating point that is incompatible with any others
    * 11/34 is basically an 11/40 (but can have the compatible floating
      point)
    * 70 has a Unibus map that allows it to have > 128KW (256KB).
    * 45 & 70 have user/supervisor/kernel mode while others just have
      user/kernel mode
    * there are a few other differences that escape me at the moment

> What I'm asking is your advice on which Handbook to buy. Here is a
> synopsis on the editions and prices from amazon:
> /04/34A/44/60/70  (1979) $10
> /04/34/45/55/60  (1978) $40
> /70 (1975) $16
> /04, 24, 34A, 70 (Jun 1981) $16
> /04/05/10/35/40/45 (1975) $45

If you're trying to understand Lyons, then I'd probably go with the last
book as the /40 & /45 were the ones most likely to be running v6
originally (although I did run it on a /34 back in the day).

--

TTFN - Guy

* [pups] Advice on which PDP-11 processor handbook to buy
@ 2007-01-24  4:11 Ross Tucker
                   ` (2 more replies)